We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Optiontown

Australia
reviews: 52
Optiontown

Hi

Optiontown has been up and running for a little while now, does anyone have success stories.

I have been following the thread on the KL forum but that was in its infancy. Would like to hear if people have been successful and if so what is included in the upgrade?

We have applied for an upgrade with them for our flights MEL-KL in April so fingers crossed.

Cheers

Dave

Melbourne, Australia
1. Re: Optiontown

I gotta admit I had to had to google this....but it seems very interesting, as does the thread on it in the KL forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298570-i7008-k400…

Like many other poster's my first thought is "is it too good to be true", how are these people making money if they apparently "refund" you if you don't get an upgrade.....

AussieDave without going through all 12 odd pages of the other thread, has anyone said they've recieved a refund or actually flown on an upgraded ticket?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 670
2. Re: Optiontown

Yes quite a few had indicated that they have been upgraded. It seems legitimate.

If unsuccessful a small fee is charged.

Tommo

Australia
3. Re: Optiontown

Hi msmegmog

There have been good and bad luck stories. It seems quite legit with people who have been unsuccessful getting their money refunded.

I believe they are cashing in on the principle that it is better for the airline to get something for their upgrades rather than randomly picking lucky people out of a hat, but that is only my guess.

A number of people said they received upgrades but I haven't heard of any JBR's as to whether this did eventuate. Also would be interested in the ratio of people who have applied and were successful or not.

Cheers

Dave

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 90
4. Re: Optiontown

They make money by keeping your deposit until the date of the flight. In South AussieDaves case April. Whats the betting they will vanish from the face of the earth.

I can see a posting soon - Optiontown stole my money

Get real, if you want an upgrade PAY FOR IT

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 76
5. Re: Optiontown

crazypom,

You have nothing to substantiate your cynical view. If you go through the KL Forum thread previously referred to you will see that in the main those who have had successful upgrades are travelling with AirAsia or AirAsiaX with whom Optiontown has a definite tie-in. With LCCs like AirAsia operating on such tight profit margins, if they can get additional revenue for premium seats that are not sold upto 4 hours before departure they are better off receiving that income, which is in addition to the seats already sold (and baggage and other fees paid) than flying with empty Premium seats earning NIL revenue. You are not getting an upgrade for free but at a significant reduction of upto 75% of normal price.

Who knows, other carriers may adopt this model.

Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Optiontown

so questions about legitimacy aside.....it's sort of like a hotwire/priceline principle in that airlines flog off seats (upgrades) that normally wouldn't be filled, at a minimal price?

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 90
7. Re: Optiontown

Arandora, forgive me for being cynical. After following TA for a number of years and travelling for over forty years I would not call it cynical, maybe street wise.

Who are Optiontown, where are they based, who are their backers, are they on a sound financial footing and are your deposits protected?

Cynical and street wise, yep I sure am.

Stockholm, Sweden
8. Re: Optiontown

crazypom, I can understand the risk of your deposits but do not forget it is just a fraction of the travel fare and they are officially partnered with major airlines like SAS, Air Asia, Kingfisher etc. I guess they already did their background study before partnering with optiontown. On my personal side, I have used their upgrades 5 times and got upgraded in 3 of them. For the rest they refunded my money back in 3 days maximum.

Adelaide, Australia
9. Re: Optiontown

I've booked my flights with Malaysia going from ADL to BKK via Kuala Lumpur.. Got the Economy seat on sale for $597.00AU Return. Went back about 2 hours later and the price had risen from $597.00 to over $1,200.00AU Return. That's beside the point though..

Optiontown were advertising on the Malaysia Air website so I thought I'd give it a crack. I paid about $1,280.00AU for the upgrade from Economy to Business for all 4 sectors. Optiontown send you an email once you create an account and you must pay the money immediately. They also advise that they will inform you 4 hours before your scheduled departure if your upgrade was successful. You must also pay a small fee of about $20.00AU for a registration fee which is non refundable. If unsuccessful the money that i paid should be back in my account within 5 clear business days.

This is all fine and good, but, I'll be devastated if I don't get the upgrade as I have never flown international business class. Been on Qantas Domestic Business which was excellent though. So in summation; $597.00AU + $1,283.00AU = $1,880.00AU.

The asking price on the Malaysia site for Business = $4,989.61 - So if all goes according to plan, I should fly in Business class and save over; $3,109.61. And I was thinking that it's in Malaysia's best interests to fly me in Business as they can sell my existing Economy seat to someone else and make the money back from that person.

I was hoping maybe one of you guys might know; Do Optiontown have a call centre where we can just have a chat to a consultant to see if they've received everything they need as far as; booking information etc.??

Looking forward to being pampered though. Well maybe... Cheers!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 76
10. Re: Optiontown

No need to contact them. They have a link direct to your booking through the airline. So if your registration details are correct in the confirmation and offer of upgrade from Optiontown then all is good. Just a matter of waiting. We received our notification of upgrade from KUL LCCT to PER in March with AirAsia 2 days before departure. For the return our notification arrived just a few hours before departure and we were unaware of it until we checked in as I had been unable to check my Emails overnight. Very nice surprise though.