We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, July 01, 2013
Edited: 6:35 pm, July 01, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

The website you mention doesn't really operate with intent to scam anyone but rather is one that may not have the full picture when offering fares.

As with some third party sites, the one you mention may not have access to the real-time booking engine for an airline; the inexpensive fares quoted may be limited to two seats on a given flight - and when they're sold they're sold, usually unlikely to be offered for sale again.

If you have a notice of cancellation and have checked with the airline that there is no booking, then the next step should be to call your credit card provider and tell them you wish to dispute the charge as the booking site has not completed its part of the contract.

Depending on the time within the billing cycle for your card it could take two to four or five weeks for a refund to be posted, and alerting the card provider to a disputed charge could speed things along as long as the online booking site works with the card provider.

www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums…

Virginia
2. Re: Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

It's amusing to me that you will not mention the name cheapoair in your response.

I understand the theory behind your argument on the bogus pricing, but let's be real here. This is a bait and switch, pure and simple. We are in the age of instant information, and cheapoair has the technology to update these prices as they change.

Also, my real issue is not with the bait and switch, it is the fact that they refuse to refund my money for a product they never delivered. I should not have to go through my credit card dispute process. I own a business which accepts credit cards, and I know that I have the ability to refund a card within 24 hours, not 4 months.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
3. Re: Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

www.cheapoair.com operates for those who think they can find a bargain. cheapoair.com may - or may not - be able to find that bargain because air fares fluctuate through the course of a day, and possibly because cheapoair.com doesn't have the technology in place or doesn't want to pay for the technology to keep up with the real time availability that the individual airlines offer.

www.cheapoair.com entices those who think they will save money - it's not a complicated equation. I agree that you (or anyone else who does not complete the contractual oblgation with cheapoair.com ) shouldn't have to wait for a refund of monies charged, but then ..... cheapoair.com may not be quite the five star well run business that, say, Fairmont Hotels or Cathay Pacific is, with the necesary staff and ability to provide exceptional customer service.

And for the record, I have no interest in or attachment to cheapoair.com nor would I consider booking with the site, for the usual caveats.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
4. Re: Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

"It's amusing to me that you will not mention the name cheapoair in your response. "

This aspect is not limited to that company. Real time updating may be possible, but it is not usually advantageous to the 3rd party provider. As with car sales, it is perfectly legal to advertise a limited quantity item and raise the price when that item sells out. Most people know that's how car dealers work and accept it gudgingly. The promise of minor savings causes people to do irrational things.

What I find better about your situation is that you received an email "an hour or two later". That is really fast in many of these situations. They sometimes wait to tell you they were unsuccessful until after it is too late to get an inexpensive fare directly through the airline website.

5. Re: Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, June 11, 2011
UK
reviews: 81
6. Re: Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

I don't understand why you spent so much time talking with cheapo (more like cr*po from what I read).

Have you not contacted your credit card company and had them reverse the charge immediately?

Edited: 1:53 am, July 22, 2010
Virginia
7. Re: Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

I did contact my credit card company. The dispute process is being complicated by the fact that I did authorize the original charge. MC does not seem interested that cheapoair did not deliver on the agreement, only that I authorized the charge.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
8. Re: Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

>> You book a fight through cheapoair at a great price. <<

Well, there's your problem then! You booked a "fight" with them.

UK
9. Re: Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

< < MC does not seem interested that cheapoair did not deliver on the agreement, only that I authorized the charge > >

I suggest you go higher up the management chain with your cc company and also change cards afterwards since , as you say, the fact you didn't get what you "bought" is the issue and as you use your card for numerous purchases (i presume) that's a bigger flag than cheapoair who at least you will never use again (and would never have used in the first place had you researched them here or elsewhere before "booking".

Good luck with both disputes !

UK
10. Re: Warning: Cheapoair.com is a scam

< < I figured that since I discovered this company through an email sent to me by TRIP ADVISOR, they would be reputable > >

just to add that I didn't notice that part before and I am surprised and depressed that TA would be recommending cheapoair given the huge number of complaints about it here and elsewhere so I do understand your annoyance

I think you have been scr*w*d three ways.

Edited: 3:57 am, July 22, 2010