We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Items stolen from bags - what police department do I report

Hudson, Ohio
reviews: 36
Items stolen from bags - what police department do I report

We flew on United from Montego Bay thru Dulles and on to Cleveland, OH. One bag was searched by TSA (note in bag), 2 other bags were not (at least as far as I know). One bag was missing a cell phone and bottle of men's aftershave. I am in the process of filling with United a missing items form but they asked if I had reported it to the police. What police do I report it too? Montego Bay, DC my home town? I am not really expecting to get anything back. We do have a receipt for the phone because it was rented.

I now know that stuff gets stolen all the time and that nothing should be in your bag. Funny, they didn't steal any of the rum we brought back. Not really sure where you are suppose to put aftershave, I guess not bring it.

thanks for your advice in advance.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
1. Re: Items stolen from bags - what police department do I report

I would probably go with Cleveland just because it would be most convenient, and also where you found the items missing. In reality it is a probably a useless activity since everyone will deny liability on a cell phone (should NEVER be checked).

Why not take the rum? Thieves in Jamaica have plenty of cheap rum already. Thieves in Dulles or Cleveland would look a bit suspicious carting around a couple liters of rum through the rest of their work day. A cell phone is easy to slip in a pocket and sell.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
2. Re: Items stolen from bags - what police department do I report

Hi,

You'd report it to the police department or law enforcement that has the jurisdiction over the location where the theft was initially discovered-- in essence the CLE airport.. CLE airport's designated law enforcement agency is a special branch of the Cleveland Police Department, you can reach their airport office sub-station at: 216.265.6055

If the Cleveland PD doesn't have jurisdiction over your home, you could call your agency and ask if they will take the report-- most will, but some will ask that you lodge it with either the airport agency or the agency that covers the airport- where the alleged theft was discovered.

Travel Safe,

Scotland
reviews: 12
3. Re: Items stolen from bags - what police department do I report

As you (unfortunately, rightly) don't expect the police to addres this crime, I guess that all you are after is a crime reference number for you insurance company - in that case does it really matter? Just report it where it is most convenient for you.

4. Re: Items stolen from bags - what police department do I report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 24, 2010