We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

Ft. Laud, Florida
reviews: 100
Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

I have reservations booked with Delta from Prague to JFK and then on to Ft. Lauderdale. Originally, there was a 3 1/2 hour layover at JFK....a comfortable time usually for retrieving luggage, customs, passport control, security, and changing terminals for the second flight.

Now, Delta changed the schedule....with a tighter layover. So I am wondering...WHAT IS DELTA'S RESPONSIBLITY TO ME IF I MISS THIS SECOND DELTA FLIGHT BECAUSE OF ALL THESE ISSUES EVEN IF THE FIRST FLIGHT IS ON TIME????

There is only one later flight to Ft. Lauderdale that day. Delta will let me re-book my flight without charge. But that later flight would mean a 5-hour layover at JFK. ...not something to look forward to.

The new Delta scheduled leaves only 1 hour 50 minutes between flights....when we must retrieve luggage, and go through customs, passport control, and change terminals.

This makes me uncomfortable. If it were just a matter of changing terminals, I might not mind. But adding in uncertain luggage retrieval, passport control, customs, and security is what makes me very nervous about this new schedule.

I DO have travel insurance.

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF MAKING THIS CONNECTION AT JFK?

WHAT IS DELTA REQUIRED to do for me if I am unable to get on the second flight.

Travelling The World
reviews: 17
11. Re: Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

> You have at least one wise friend WV.

His penance is that he has to stay in his Yotel cabin for the whole 27 hours! At least there was no difference in fare!

kentucky
reviews: 37
12. Re: Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

let's go back to Pacosmom

she arrives JFK w/out weather issues, DL is responsible to connection

she comes in from PRG, she processes immigration/customs JFK

Is she flying both segments on DL? then her connex are all in same complex of terminal/concourses so she should clear in decent time and move on.

she can opt for connections to CVG/ATL atc to assist getting her to her destination. If there are weather issues--different story

TEV--are 747/380 AC going to arrive at JFK DL terminals? Am I missing something? (appreciate knowing, pls)

Ft. Laud, Florida
13. Re: Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

THANKS to all who have responded to my post and who have gone to the trouble of researching schedules and offering alternative ideas and opinions. I really do appreciate it all.

WV: 27 hours??? YIKES !!! Even I'm not that nervous a flyer.

tev9999: I hadn't even thought about flights thru ATL. Thanks for mentioning it. I could also opt for a flight to MIA and just notify my driver for pick-up.

You can all be sure I wouldn't be debating this problem in my mind if the possibility was for getting stranded overnight in PARIS.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
14. Re: Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

"TEV--are 747/380 AC going to arrive at JFK DL terminals? Am I missing something? (appreciate knowing, pls)"

I have no idea. I just mentally grabbed a couple widebody aircraft that could dump over 1000 people into an immigration hall at the same time. My point being that immigration/customs should have people scheduled to match aircraft arrivals and keep things flowing, but as we all know aircraft don't always arrive on time.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
15. Re: Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

Hi,

Two issues to remember in the off-chance that Delta needs to re-accommodate you onto a later flight *if* you arrive late into JFK, and as a result you miss your JFK-FLL flight.

Delta *will* do so, but remember a few things about the "re-accommodation"

1) Delta is *not* required to displace or "bump-off" another ticketed and confirmed passenger off of his/her later flight to make room for you. Airlines will book you a seat on the next flight that has *confirmable* seats.. In some cases, due to volumes and flight schedules, this may be hours away or even the next day. You can generally stand-by for free just in case a seat opens at the last minute before departure on an otherwise sold-out flight.

2) Unless the reason for the missed connection is directly carrier controlled (think maintainence issues) the airline is generally *not* required to pay for or reimburse you for any expenses you incur while waiting, such as meals, phone calls and hotels.. Some airlines may elect to do so voluntarily in these cases, but generally, unless the carrier is directly at fault for the delay, they don't cover any expenses while you wait.

Travel/trip insurance is a wise investment in these matters.

Travel Safe,

Ft. Laud, Florida
16. Re: Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

GOPBI.....Thank you so much for taking the time to outline these important considerations. And it is comforting to know that I DO have the travel insurance.

Thanks again.

kentucky
reviews: 37
17. Re: Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

BTW--enjoy Prague--it's my fave city in Europe. I went for our honeymoon, first anniversary and back a few weeks ago (it was SOOOOO cold!!) but I still find it beautiful. We did ATL once and JFK 2X. Hubby works JFK route often.

Ft. Laud, Florida
18. Re: Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

Kyshel....thanks for your note.

19. Re: Delta's responsibility for missed connection at JFK ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 26, 2010