We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about layovers

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 25
Question about layovers

I'm prepping to book my first international flight and I would appreciate some guidance regarding the layover, if someone can help me. The flight I'm looking at is Denver, Colorado, to Shannon, Ireland. What I'm looking at is Continental from Denver to London, with a 2 1/2 hour layover, Aer Lingus London to Shannon. This would be on one ticket, I believe, as it's the option that comes up for me, not two separate searches. My question is - on such a flight, would I have to pick up my luggage in London and re-check it for the flight to Shannon? The info on the Continental website doesn't seem clear to me, I'm sure because I'm new to this. Thanks in advance for your help!! Oh, and is it safe to assume the 2 1/2 hours will be long enough to make the connecting flight seeing as that's how the potential booking comes up on inquiry?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Question about layovers

Unfortunately EI (Aer Lingus) does not have an interline agreement with CO and your bags will not be checked through. But - if you're thinking of booking CO6701 do note that it's a codeshare flight, operated by UA (United) rather than with CO itself.

The good news is that if you can supply a UA flight number / locator code to EI then your bags should be checked through to SNN, as EI does have an interline agreement with UA. I don't know if EI will accommodate if you have a CO flight number / locator code only, so it's definitely worthwhile giving the airline a shout to see what can be done.

CO6701 / UA948 does arrive at LHR T1, though, which is handy as EI uses the same terminal building. For that reason two and a half hours should be sufficient to make the connection, but if you do have to go through passport control and collect your bags then check in for the EI flight I'd say add another hour to the connection time. Two and a half could be sufficient either way but LHR is a busy place and it's best to be prepared for the unexpected.

UK
reviews: 88
2. Re: Question about layovers

Seems to me from what TP said about CO/UA codeshare, you might be better off looking on the United website about the same itinerary to make it much smoother to have your luggage booked through.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 101
3. Re: Question about layovers

would you consider flying Den - EWR - Snn? that would solve your problem with regard to a layover in Heathrow which I would avoid if at all possible.

You dont mention dates butwould the prices be in the same range for your dates of travel? Just a thought,

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 103
4. Re: Question about layovers

I would take a transit at LHR over one at EWR!

Denver, Colorado
5. Re: Question about layovers

Now I'm REALLY confused!! I called Continental and was told I would have to pick up my baggage from Continental and re-check at Aer Lingus. So I looked further and found the United flight 948 (using the flight search on this site) - but when I went directly to the United Airlines site, flight 948 isn't even offered. I tried searching through Kayak.com instead of using this site and found that British Airways, though somewhat more expensive, offers the same flight DEN-LHR-SNN. They also have a layover in London, but it is a BA flight that goes on to SNN, so I wouldn't have to worry about my baggage. Is that the better way to go? I really don't want to have to worry about picking up baggage and rechecking when this is my first time international - and in a huge airport. Advice please? And thank you for the info given so far!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
6. Re: Question about layovers

When do you plan to travel? If it's more than six months from now UA's booking engine may not have the flights from DEN to LHR loaded yet; I got the information from the ITA matrix.

BA does not fly to SNN, with one exception: Openskies flights from LCY (London City Airport) en route to JFK do stop at SNN for refuelling and for US immigration. However, it's not likely that you'd be able to book LCY-SNN only, and with LHR and LCY on the oppo sides of London it's not a desirable connection to make in any event.

I suspect that kayak.com displayed a codeshare with EI for the LHR-SNN sector, but that's a guess. Since BA and EI have an interline agreement your bags would be checked through to SNN from DEN; all you'd need to do is ensure enough time - at least two hours, three might be better - to make your way from T5 to T1 for the EI flight. It's not a complicated connection at LHR but the airport is bit, delays may happen, and you'd likely not wish to run like the wind across T1 Departures to ensure you could board the flight to SNN.

Denver, Colorado
7. Re: Question about layovers

I want to leave Denver May 4, and you are right, the BA flight was actually an EI flight. Would it be better for me to book each leg of my trip separately than searching on them together?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
8. Re: Question about layovers

Hm, I thought of something but was hoping it wouldn't be the case. It looks as if travel with CO would mean a flight from DEN to EWR (Newark) then EWR to DUB and a connection to a flight with EI to SNN - that's the cheapest option showing for an outbound journey on 04 May.

CO shows travel from SNN to EWR for the return journey then a connection from EWR to DEN, with as much as a five hour and 45min layover in EWR.

BA's fare may be pricier but it may save you having to make two connections. Total travel time is going to be about 13h in any event. For me, the fewer connections (and less chance of anything going awry) the better, but it's your journey, your budget and you must decide what is important to you.

UA948 shows as a 777; BA flies that plane on its routing DEN-LHR as well - it's a fairly comfortable plane for long haul journeys. The CO return to EWR is on a 757 then a 737 to DEN; seven hours in a single-aisle 757 may make for a long journey but CO have installed on demand IFE (in flight entertainment) which could help the time pass.

I think you may be best off booking your journey on a single ticket if possible. In the (hopefully) unlikely event of anything going wrong, the airline(s) are more amenable to helping you get to your final destination when travelling on one ticket; if you have two separate bookings and are delayed for the second sector an airline won't have the same condition of carriage to ensure you are accommodated for another flight.

Denver, Colorado
9. Re: Question about layovers

Thanks for all the info! My total trip involves DEN-LHR-SNN on May 4/5, a flight from Belfast to LHR on May 21, and the return trip home LHR-DEN on May 24. It looks like I can't actually book all on one ticket unless I go through Expedia or Travelocity or some such, is that right? If I go directly to the United Airlines site or the British Airways site, I can only get the DEN-LHR return part as the other portions are with different airlines. Is it better to book the DEN-LHR return as one ticket and get the others separately dealing directly with the airlines OR get the whole thing through one of the travel sites? I don't mind spending a bit more if it makes the whole process simpler, but I'm finding it difficult to determine the best place to book! Thanks for bearing with me - I do appreciate it!

Denver, Colorado
10. Re: Question about layovers

I found a site that explains the terminals at LHR but couldn't find anything that really said how easy it was to get between them - can anyone here comment on that - how long would it take an average person to get from T5 to T1? TIA!