We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 5
No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

Hi, this question probably gets asked quite often but I wanted to ask again in case there has been recent changes...

I have a ticket booked for a trip (using easyjet between the UK and Gibraltar, if that matters) and the names entered on the booking don't contain our middle names, but middle names are included in both of our passports. First and last names are correct on the ticket. Will this cause us any problems? In the past it hasn't but I'm a bit concerned that it may now. I have actually made other bookings for this trip and have used our full names, but in this case the booking form only had a space for first and last name so I didn't enter anything else....

56 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
1. Re: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

Hi, this question probably gets asked quite often but I wanted to ask again in case there has been recent changes...

Yes very often. No it will not cause you problems. Airline reservation systems don't use middle names.

wirral
reviews: 82
2. Re: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

No problem.

Wales
reviews: 13
3. Re: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

What you have to remember is if you're known by your middle name, be sure to book the ticket in the first name as it appears on your passport, not the name you're known by.

My surname is double-barrelled, with a hyphen, which always appears on reservations as one long surname with no hyphen. Haven't had a problem so far, but technically it's not exactly as it appears on my passport. Don't suppose there's anything I can do about it. Maybe not include the hyphen I suppose, but not sure if systems will accept two surnames.

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 5
4. Re: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

Thanks for the replies. When I double-checked all my bookings, I kept seeing that the ticket names must match the passport exactly. Good to know that they are really only referring to first & last.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
reviews: 21
5. Re: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

I assume they stick to first and last names because some people have an awful lot of names in between and it wouldn't be feasible to include them all. Have you seen the full names of most of the Royal Family, for instance?

Edited: 4:33 pm, January 10, 2010
Gibraltar
reviews: 1
6. Re: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

I travel this route every 2 or 3 weeks and have never had a problem with the fact that my middle name on my passport dosn't appear on my ticket.

lancashire england
7. Re: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

Hi,

I have just booked BA flights and my son has a double surname with a space and no hypen. before confirmation was completed it appeared as I had wrote it with the space and capitals for the beginning of both the surmanes, but when I paid andd all the details came back it had chanded to one long surname! Will this cause us any problems? We are travelling to US and I know that they can be ultra picky about little details.

Jen

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 74
8. Re: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

Hi,

No.. This is one of multiple "name" issues that gets raised from time to time.. The online booking engines of the airlines and travel agencies isn't perfect yet and some types of name-- such as a hyphenated name or ones that are extremely long (extreme is of course a subject assessment)-- cause the booking engine troubles..

so long as it's correct in the spelling-- never mind the punctuation-- you'll be just fine..

Travel Safe,

lancashire england
9. Re: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

Thank you so much for the quick reply. You have put my mind at ease now.

Jen

TN, USA
10. Re: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?

I had asked this question of the airlines a couple of years ago. For women it comes up a lot. Many of us have a birth middle name, a maiden name that is used on much official paperwork as a middle and sometimes a prior married name that may be used as a middle name (this is what is on my SS card while my maiden name is on my passport and driver's lisence). I have never had a problem.

Reply to: No middle name on ticket, but passport has one. Problem?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted