We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Flight Attendant's life

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 47
A Flight Attendant's life

FYI!

Just read the following:

cnn.com/2009/…index.html

West Chester...
reviews: 81
11. Re: A Flight Attendant's life

I do have one pet peeeve about flight attendants. I often wind up sitting on the bulkhead row in larger planes at the end of the aisle (mainly because I have a problem with my leg and need to stretch it at times). After the flight starts the attendant closes the curtain between the upper class and coach so that we can't see what is going on or use the upper class toilets. That however doesn't stop the upper class passengers from deciding to walk back into coach to use the toilets and when they do so they swing the curtain open wide and hit the passengers in the front side roww in the face. Time after time, until we move the curtain over enough so that they see we are there and don't whack us. Inevitably some attendant comes and closes it again, even after we explain why it was moved over a bit. The attitude is always, tough luck peon, they need their complete privacy and freedom to walk whereever they want.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
12. Re: A Flight Attendant's life

I think Speedbird is right. Unfortunately, as the face of the airline, they represent the company and the flying public will throw all sorts of insults at them if they are not satisfied. It's a vicious cycle of airlines cutting back and squeezing more margin at the expense of happy customers and employees. Having said all that, every industry faces the increasing competition so I don't expect anything less.

When I fly these days, as long as they get me there on-time with my bags, I'm already reasonably happy. I fly frequent enough to know that we are bound to run into both passengers and FA's who are rude and inconsiderate to others on the plane.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
13. Re: A Flight Attendant's life

Hi,

As a customer facing employee we are the ones to have to explain (if possible) the rationale for the service reductions, aircraft downgauge, schedule changes, etc.. You'd be also surprised that it is very rare for us to be fully briefed on the rationale.. So, we're left in a hard spot-- you either say "I don't know, they didn't tell us", or make-up some answer that seems to fit the situation..

As far as working before we're "on the clock" goes-- that's a very touchy subject for FA's.. Pretty much everyone falls into one of two basic "camps".. First is that we're going to do whatever is necessary to make sure our passengers are taken care of-- regardless of being on or off the clock.. Second is we're not doing anything until we're on the clock-- you don't work unpaid.. Each side has a valid argument for their positions.. Passengers shouldn't be "dis-serviced" due to how the company calculates pay.. The other camp says that it's a violation of wage & standards laws to work off the clock and what happens if there is an injury while working off the clock? Again, both sides have valid points.. The REAL trouble comes when you have a crew that doesn't all share the same position.. That's often why you may see some doing things while others are not..

The last element is the Union.. In many cases you get repeated "warnings" not to work or do anything "off the clock"...

In my opinion, the "contract" has become such a polarizing element.. FA's often say I'm not doing that it's not in my contract (most likely a true statement).. Management says FA's have to do that because it's in their contract (also most likely a true statement).. Everything comes down to what is or is not written into the contract--- in the mean time the passenger is caught in the labor crossfire..

I will tell you that the vast majority of folks working today take their job seriously.. They want you to have a nice flight.. They also want you to arrive at your destination safely..

The job today has-- for many reasons-- morphed into a 'battle' if you will between airline management, the passengers and the front-line employees.. And right now no one is really winning...

Travel Safe,

14. Re: A Flight Attendant's life

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:30 am, February 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions