We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry on walking cane questions.

Florida
Carry on walking cane questions.

Hello,

I will be flying from Tampa to Utah next week Aug 5th.

I see I am allowed to carry on as an extra item my walking cane.

Is there any charge for bringing a cane to my seat?

Do I need a doctor statement to carry on a cane?

What length of walking cane can I bring onboard to my seat?

Thank you

I got my info below, from the Delta site, but not specifics=

"Canes and Crutches

Crutches must be stored lengthwise against the fuselage wall at a window seat except at emergency exits. Walking canes or the cane of a visually impaired person should be stowed in one of the following locations:

An approved stowage compartment

On the floor secured between a non-emergency-exit window seat and the wall of the aircraft

Beneath any two non-emergency-exit window seats if the cane is flat on the floor or under a series of passenger seats in the same row of the aircraft as long as the cane does not protrude into the aisle "

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: Carry on walking cane questions.

Hi,

Since a walking device is classified as a mobility-aid it is afforded special status with the airlines in respect to how it's counted and where/how it's stored.

You do NOT need a medical certificate for a walking device. There are NO fees or charges for using your own customer-supplied walking device.

What the article that you've posted from Delta's website is in essence telling you is that while it's OK and permitted for you to bring onboard the aircraft a walking device, such as a cane, that it MUST be safely stored in an approved locating (lengthwise against fuselage, storage compartment, etc.)

You CANNOT stand it up next to your seat or in the aisle in any fashion. In other words, where ever it gets stored MUST be an approved location (an example an of UNapproved storage locations is the lavatories)

AND not present a safety or security hazard.

In the extraordinary and extreme situation that a safe place cannot be found (highly unlikely that a place cannot be found), the device must then be storage in the cargo compartment.

So, in summary, it OK to use one and bring it on the plane. No doctors note required. You or the FA's must be able to find a safe and approved location to store it for taxi, takeoff and landing.

Travel Safe,

Florida
2. Re: Carry on walking cane questions.

I understand. Thank you for clearing this up in my mind.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 47
3. Re: Carry on walking cane questions.

I should also add that the walking cane must be constructed predominantly of wood, with only decorative metal adorning the handle. Any cane found to be of metal or something similar to a cane sword is likely to be confiscated at the security screening area.

Just thought I should add this for anyone else monitoring the thread. This was not intended to imply you would be bringing any such cane.

Bradenton, Florida
Destination Expert
for Bradenton, Anna Maria Island
reviews: 29
4. Re: Carry on walking cane questions.

And what about a 5 foot walking stick. I have always thought these would not be allowed. Anyone

Bangkok
Destination Expert
5. Re: Carry on walking cane questions.

Hi,

If it's a *legitimate* mobility-assistance device then it will be accommodated-- either on the aircraft or in the hold.. If the device runs contrary to established TAS or local security directives then alternative accommodations will be provided by the airline. This is in keeping with the Air Carrier Access Act.

Generally, walking sticks are not classified as a mobility-assistance device.. Determinations as to the legitimacy of a device are normally made by a qualified airline representative and (on occasion) in collaboration with local security/TSA personnel.

Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 7
6. Re: Carry on walking cane questions.

I need a cane sometimes.....I have two FOLDING canes...so I just fold it up, but the elastic band around it and stick it in my carryon. Never had a problem.

Even if you use a NON-FOLDING cane, it might be worth it to invest in a folding cane for traveling.

Hampshire
7. Re: Carry on walking cane questions.

Thoroughly agree with the use of folding walking canes. Have travelled frequently with someone who needs to use one and they are so convenient for storage.

london, england
reviews: 19
8. Re: Carry on walking cane questions.

saw someone post a message re metal canes. Not sure if I am reading it right but in case anyone is worried I have travelled extensively with my mostly metal walking stick and have never had a problem - it goes through security scanning so they know it is nothing more sinister

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 47
9. Re: Carry on walking cane questions.

I was referring to metal walking canes that "might" contain more than just the obvious. IF the cane is put through an X-ray, the X-ray usually can show "most" interior details.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
10. Re: Carry on walking cane questions.

Hi,

Additionally, if the x-ray does not provide sufficient screening visibility, then the TSA staff can/will do a hand inspection as well..

Travel Safe,