We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

not too sure about NWA just yet

Chiang Khong...
reviews: 1
not too sure about NWA just yet

Hi

Never had flown NWA so I thought I would give them try as they had the cheapest price for my trip to Bangkok.

started out a little suspect when I checked their web page first thing in the morning before flight

noted a 30 min delay on 2nd leg of flight.

I flew BOI to SEA no problem om time got to SEA

saw now had 2 hr delay from SEA to Tokyo

but I only had a 2 hr connection time "oh $hit"

well the 2 hrs turned into a 5 hr delay.

so i knew for sure would not make connection.

but nothing i could do but wait and See what NWA

did in Tokyo.

as not only me but probably 90% of the passengers where makeing connections

Once we got on the ground they had tables set up with different connections on them,

we went to Bangkok table they had already booked our flight for the next day on Thai Air but at 5 PM

it was 11 at night we were supposed to be in Bangkok at this time.

they also had bus's waiting to take us to our hotel

with food vouchers. It was a nice hotel.food at night was bad but they only set up a buffet to help us out

So we finally got to Bangkok 24 hrs later than planned with our bags.

this is the first time i have had a major delay in over 10 yrs I guess my luck finally ran out LOL

also we were not the only plane delayed

we were on flight 7 from SEA delay becasue of maintence problems we could see the plane in the hanger and the gate staff was good at alerting us every hr

the other flight was flight 25 from Detoit

they had a medical emergency and had to land only an hr after take off . dump fuel then refuel

so all total there was probably 500 passengers who missed connections that night in Tokyo.

some who needed to be somewhere on time

I talked to one girl who was supposed to be in Taiwan

the next morning to march in the opening ceremonys of the world games being held there.

this is not a rant or a rave just what happens in todays air travel. $hit happens and you have to deal with.

so far NAW has done what they are supposed to.

we will see what happens om return flight

and then I will decide if I will fly with them again.

South Pole
reviews: 38
1. Re: not too sure about NWA just yet

seems to me this has been well handled. also goes to prove that if u really really have to be somewhere give yourself an extra 24 hours to get there.

Travelling The World
reviews: 26
2. Re: not too sure about NWA just yet

> and then I will decide if I will fly with them again.

Don't leave it too long. They will be gone soon! :-)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 73
3. Re: not too sure about NWA just yet

Hi,

That's one of the advantages of flying long haul.. In the case of known "miss-connects" (passengers who will miss their connecting flight for sure) it gives the local ground staff plenty of time to arrange for hotels, book next-flight protection, etc *before* your arrival in Japan...

The bad thing about flying from US cities to Tokyo is that normally your arrival time scheduled for late in the afternoon or early evening. As such, if delayed, your options to find another flight to your final destination at that hour are very limited at best.. Normally the last flights to leave Tokyo are either long haul to Australia or Honolulu/Guam..

Chiang Khong...
reviews: 1
4. Re: not too sure about NWA just yet

Hi

well the return flight was un eventful.

but I will not fly NWA again unless the price is so low it can't be beat.

the flight.s back were on Delta air craft.

the Banglok to Tokyo was on airbus 330 with AVOD.

the flight from Tokyo to Portland was old 767.

the plane was dirty and had broken seats my seat back would not stay up and my wifes seat back would not go down. the food was ediable. no AVOD had to watch what ever movie was showing.

I found the staff on Delta much more friendly and helpful than on NWA.

but after all is said and done. they did their job we and our bags got to Bangkok and then back to Boise

safely. all for $940 rd trip each.

with the delayed initial flight and haveing to put us up for the night in tokyo and then pay Thai to fly us to Bangkok next morning I am sure NWA lost money on us.

Alabama
5. Re: not too sure about NWA just yet

Delta and NWA are actually the same airline now. The NWA jets are slowly being repainted into Delta colors. I hope they will do some fleet/interior upgrades as they merge the fleets because a lot of the older NWA planes really need it. Delta has pulled several of their newer planes off of routes such as Tokyo and Incheon to redeploy them elsewhere.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 73
6. Re: not too sure about NWA just yet

Hi,

While DL is incorporating many of the former NW aircraft, ground service equipment, airport signage and printed communications with DL's new livery, they are still technically two separate airlines..

Northwest still operates under their own individual Air Carriers Certificate (part 121) NWAA301A. Delta operates using DALA026A.

You can see here, from the FAA's website that for the time being, DL operates all NW flights on a "subsidary" basis- or 'doing business as' basis- until final approval is given for DL to use only one certificate.

NW: http://av-info.faa.gov/detail.asp?DSGN_CODE=NWAA&OPER_FAR=121&OPER_NAME=NORTHWEST+AIRLINES+INC

DL: http://av-info.faa.gov/detail.asp?DSGN_CODE=DALA&OPER_FAR=121&OPER_NAME=DELTA+AIR+LINES+INC

Travel Safe,

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
7. Re: not too sure about NWA just yet

If you were on an A330, it would have been a (former) Northwest aircraft and crew, regardless of the paint scheme. Delta never operated the A330 before the acquisition, and NW never operated 767s or 777s.

While they are operating as two airlines, they have mixed up the route network to make the best use of aircraft. You will find the A330s flying out of ATL and the other Delta hubs where they would have only been out of the NW hubs (DTW, MSP, MEM) before.

8. Re: not too sure about NWA just yet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 11, 2010