We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multi-Airline Baggage Check Fee Question...

Greeley, CO
reviews: 1
Multi-Airline Baggage Check Fee Question...

Hi everyone!

I apologize if I have posted a question that has already been answered -or if I have posted this in the wrong forum...

Today I booked a Multi-Airline flight from Denver-Honolulu with a brief layover in Portland. In Portland I switch from Frontier Airlines to Northwest.

Frontier currently has no 1st checked bag fee, Northwest has a 25$ first bag checked fee.

I imagine that when I arrive at the Airport in Denver, that Frontier will not charge me for a checked bag. However, I am also quite sure that Northwest will want their checked bag fee.

My question to this forum is this...How will Northwest go about gathering the 25$/bag fee from me?

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
1. Re: Multi-Airline Baggage Check Fee Question...

If you are on one through ticket and luggage checked in all they way, Logic (not a term used lightly in the airline business) would suggest that it will be waived through.

No real experience of this on your side of the pond but when my friends fly BA with a connection to a charging airline (flybe) it does not cost them. Similarly the higher luggage weight allowance applies.

I stress that these are just inspired guesses on my part based on personal experience and known 'rules'.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
2. Re: Multi-Airline Baggage Check Fee Question...

Technically the airline you check in with is supposed to collect all fees for whatever flights they tag your bags for. It is then up to them to pay the other airlines involved.

In most cases the agent checking you in can't be bothered to look up the other carriers rules and will just check your baggage through.

Once the bag is in the system, there isn't too much the other airlines can do about it.

3. Re: Multi-Airline Baggage Check Fee Question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 pm, October 07, 2009