We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connections In SFO from SQ to VX

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 26
Connections In SFO from SQ to VX

Am planning on flying in to SFO on Singapore Airlines arriving at about 11.10am before connecting to a Virgin America flight to LAX.

When planning bookings for VX how much time should I allow for clearing customs and collecting baggage before checking-in for Virgin America.

Otherwise, am I better looking at another airline from SFO to LAX

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 43
1. Re: Connections In SFO from SQ to VX

There should be no problem if you give yourself 2 hours connection time. I came in myself from Seoul not long ago about that time of day and easily made my connection owith UA 90 min later (different terminal). Virgin America is also in the International/same terminal with SQ. It helps if you don't have much to declare and little luggage. The International terminal is so huge - just to find the right airline counter takes a while, but just ask around.

Winter Park, Florida
reviews: 8
2. Re: Connections In SFO from SQ to VX

Might be easier to leverage the Star Alliance connection and use United. Presumably then your baggage would be checked through and you would only have to change terminals and go through security to the gate (after clearing Customs and returning your bags to the airline there).

South Pole
reviews: 38
3. Re: Connections In SFO from SQ to VX

assume u r travelling on a foreign passport. if so u have to give yourself a little more time than the locals think u need due to possible hold ups in immigration in sfo.

also baggage can take a while to get delivered even if u get thru quickly.

i would take the united option also and get your boarding pass for the lax flight when checking in with sq. u then just need to drop your bag off after exiting customs (altho there again, this line can be long and slow) and head for united's terminal which is a relatively short walk, pass thru security and find your gate.

i like 3 hours in sfo for international/internal connections.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 26
4. Re: Connections In SFO from SQ to VX

If I did take the United option, would I have to get the SQ and UA flights ticketed together (i.e. through SQ), or could I still book the UA flight seperately to the SQ flight.

Winter Park, Florida
reviews: 8
5. Re: Connections In SFO from SQ to VX

You could ticket separately and ask to have the two reservations 'linked'. Otherwise, when you check in for the SQ flight just produce your United ticket and ask them to through-check the bags.

6. Re: Connections In SFO from SQ to VX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 30, 2009