We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline fuel surcharges

Dumfries, Scotland
reviews: 2
Airline fuel surcharges

Pardon my ignorance but is it correct that if you have bought and paid for a flight you cannot then be surcharged for fuel?

I think I am correct but as a family we really need to know for sure.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 35
1. Re: Airline fuel surcharges

When you buy a ticket for a flight (no matter how far ahead the flight may be), you are entering into a contract. The price you pay is in agreeance with that contract. You have paid for a flight from one point to another and they will not charge you more no matter how the fees/charges/fuel changes - your ticket is for the flight, plus charges, fees, surcharges, fuel, etc.

So, summarising, you paid and that is the final price you will pay. No more no less. See the terms and conditions of the flight you paid for - it doesn't mean there may be flight delays, etc, but if all goes as planned, no more to pay.

Enjoy your holiday!

Travelling The World
reviews: 17
2. Re: Airline fuel surcharges

Actually, reading the terms and conditions is good advice. There may be a clause in there that they can pass on certain increases in cost to you. Most airlines won't, but they may reserve the right. Reading the T&Cs will let you know one way or the other.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
3. Re: Airline fuel surcharges

Your question is not ignorant at all, ginger. Since there have been a few stories in the papers (Guardian and Observer at least) about travellers who have booked package holidays and are now being asked for further monies because of the fluctuations in currency exchanges, it's a legitimate and reasonable question.

The advice to read the T&Cs is bang on. Yes, the print is tiny and yes it's dull - looks like standard boilerplate for a purchase, but there may be info of use to you in there. Since you and your family are travelling, you're very likely going to spend a fair wodge of cash on a trip, so you're also very likely to want to know where that cash is going to go and what precisely you will get for it.

Hoofddorp, The...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Airline fuel surcharges

Hi there.

In fact, all the above is correct.

Additionally I dd like to add the following.

Talking about scheduled airlines:

Be aware, most of the time, a ticketprice incl surcharges and taxes is only guaranteed when ticket has been issued. Payment is of no concern. You can pay for the ticket, but if it has not been issued immideately after your payment, the price is not guaranteed, and who is to absorb the extra charges when fuel surcharges (or fare) go up after your payment (and before ticketing) is in the T & C .......so be careful here, and to be sure, to make sure you get ticketnumbers, that s the indication that tickets have been issued.

Packagedeals might have different T & C

All subject terms and conditions of the specific agents, airlines, consolidators.........

Regards

Wiki

Dumfries, Scotland
reviews: 2
5. Re: Airline fuel surcharges

Thank you all for your replies, we have e tickets so will be OK, some of the surcharges I read about now are scary and would be crippling on a long haul flight such us ours (Philippines with Hong Kong stopover). Thanks again.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
6. Re: Airline fuel surcharges

This hasn't happened to me for 7-8 years, but I've had a couple flights (in Africa if I remember right) where I had to pay a departure tax before I could leave. It's pretty rare, but that's the only kind of surcharge I can think of that you might have to pay even after you've bought the tickets.

Hoofddorp, The...
reviews: 6
7. Re: Airline fuel surcharges

Hi Simba.

That could be right, there are a few destinations that still have such airport levies, it is a few dollars, sometimes also in the carribbean area.

But those are non-ticketable airport levies, or whatever they call them...... They are to be paid anyway, regardless of when and where the ticket has been issued and paid for.

Regards

Wiki

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
8. Re: Airline fuel surcharges

Agreed. some places in Africa have a Departure Tax of $20 or so. Most airlines have this in the ticket price but some do not. You will be told at check in which you have.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 21
9. Re: Airline fuel surcharges

Cuba, Indonesia and NZ also have departure taxes you must pay in cash at the airport before you are allowed to board the plane. It's not an airport fee, which is sometimes added to a ticket, but sometimes paid in cash, but a tax from the government, so you pay it regardless of which airport you are flying out of.

Travelling The World
reviews: 17
10. Re: Airline fuel surcharges

There has been a report about this on the BBC this morning.

ABTA rules allow for surcharges up to 10% as long as it's more than a month before departure and the travel company absorbs the first 2%.