We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways Lost Luggage

Silicon Valley
reviews: 2
British Airways Lost Luggage

On February 18 my husband flew from San Francisco to Bangalore India, transferring in Heathrow from American Airlines to British Air. His bag, along with hundreds of others from the flight, did not arrive in Bangalore. On February 24, on his way on to Dubai, he checked with British Air at the airport and was told the bag was arriving later that day. He requested that it be sent on to the permanent address, here in Silicon Valley. The bag has never been returned. He checked in Heathrow on the return and was treated discourteously by BA staff. Daily phone calls to BRitish Air baggage in the US have resulted in nothing. His office staff in Bangalore checked with British Air there and were told the bag had been sent to Heathrow. Complaints about the unresponsiveness of British Air baggage, sent to British Air Customer Service, have resulted in nothing. We have been told that the problem in Heathrow is so bad that they are auctioning off bags after 3 weeks. This problem has been going on with this airline for over a year and there is a class action suit against them in Federal court in Seattle over lost luggage. Do not fly British Air with a checked bag.

London, United...
reviews: 11
11. Re: British Airways Lost Luggage

I have only ever had 1 bag get 'delayed' (not lost) with BA. We were flying to JFK and I had put a lock on my suitcase, which of course I was made fully aware of after that I shouldn't have done that flying to America. This is not BA's fault just the security process. My bag went through additional screening resulting in it missing my flight. After obviously being upset arriving in New York with no bag, no change of clothes I was hoping it would arrive at some point during our 5 day break.

My bag was put on the next flight, driven to my Midtown hotel later that same day. Inside the bag was a letter of apology from BA and details of how I could apply for compensation. From what could have been a bad experience BA were more than helpful and professional.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
12. Re: British Airways Lost Luggage

Back in 2005 my checked bag didn't go with me from LHR to BCN, but staff at BCN El Prat told me my bag was on the next flight in.

For days after the bag was delivered to me at my hotel, the BA online baggage system sent the same message 'bag in process'. Things haven't changed much, I see!

Like Speedbird, I have found BA's North American services hit or miss at best.....oh all right, mostly miss. I've had much better luck with BA in the UK, and have had quick responses to letters I've written rather than emails.

Right now, Willie and his pals have a bit of this and that, dealing with BALPA and T5. But a letter to BA in the UK might elicit a response.

Again, though, if your husband's connection time at LHR was not enough for his bag to get from T3 to T4, that might have been the germ of the problem.

Silicon Valley
reviews: 2
13. Re: British Airways Lost Luggage

6 hours connection time. That was not the problem.

Rockaway, New Jersey
reviews: 51
14. Re: British Airways Lost Luggage

The last time I flew from EWR to LHR on BA, my husband and I were waiting at the check in desk and there was a line at customer service right next to check-in. The young man first in line was being told "We don't where your bag, is, sir." and "I'm not sure if you'll get in back at all." We never check bags when flying BA and probably never will. I know most people do fly with them everyday and have no problems, but the 1 out of 35 statistic is still pretty bad.

Rockaway, New Jersey
reviews: 51
15. Re: British Airways Lost Luggage

Forgot to add, I wonder if BA's very generous carry on allowance (max weight is 50 lbs, not the usual 12 or 13 of other airlines) is a way to discourage people from checking bags and help their stats.

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 17
16. Re: British Airways Lost Luggage

Yeah I think it is just bad luck if your bags are lost with BA I went on a RTW trip with BA last year and had 14 flights all together and my TWO checked in bags where not lost once.

Gill x

17. Re: British Airways Lost Luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, September 21, 2009