We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Shoes for Air Travel

Chicago
reviews: 46
Travel Shoes for Air Travel

I fly a lot. Nowadays, I wear Crocs on travel days. These are nice comfortable shoes that you just slip your feet into. I also wear socks with my Crocs.

Therefore, when I go through TSA, my shoes come off in seconds, I do not have to walk bare-footed, I do not stumble, I slip my Crocs back on quickly after screening and I am on my way.

I have seen so many people fumble, hop and whine about shoe removal when going through airport security. Just get some Crocs and make your life easier.

Toronto
1. Re: Travel Shoes for Air Travel

Except for the fact that they're the ugliest things I've ever seen....especially with socks as well!! lol...you couldn't PAY me to wear those things, comfortable or not!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
2. Re: Travel Shoes for Air Travel

Crocs are certainly popular right now, and I understand their advantage in moving through security. There are, however, many shoes that feature the same slip-on design that Crocs have. So if someone is not really into the Croc design the same advice would be useful in selecting a more traditional shoe with a cut-away heel like the Crocs have.

I also prefer to fly in this style of a shoe because I can slip it off easily once I am on the plane.

You are so right about airport security. We just need to do whatever is easy for us to gain compliance with the TSA regulations. Not only does complaining not help, but sometimes I think it just gives TSA workers something a bit unusual to exercise their authority in an otherwise boring job.

On the other hand, the TSA people seem to appreciate it when we follow the routine quickly and without the need of instruction or the complaints they hear from many travelers.

It is just a part of the routine of air travel, and it is not going to go away so the less upset passengers become the more likely they are to have a better trip.

Chicago
reviews: 46
3. Re: Travel Shoes for Air Travel

I wear colorful cute socks too! Nice colors like lime green, red, orange, animal print socks. Come on, we can do a lot of fashion coordination and zing with our Crocs!

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 222
4. Re: Travel Shoes for Air Travel

Why the rush? The plane's going nowhere soon. I wear proper walking boots with laces and if it takes a few seconds more, so what? I do have outer clothing off, unlike a lot of folk who seem to ignore the signs asking them to shed, and then mutter as they disrobe at the desk. There is no time limit or speed record medal for passing Security. The slower the better. They might actually find something!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
5. Re: Travel Shoes for Air Travel

Except for the fact that they're the ugliest things I've ever seen....especially with socks as well!! lol...you couldn't PAY me to wear those things, comfortable or not!

Agreed!

I wear nice, comfortable loafers. Slip on, slip off in seconds with no lacing required...

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 85
6. Re: Travel Shoes for Air Travel

Messenger of doom, here -

Think of the recent situation at Heathrow when passengers had to evacuate down the slides. What shoes do you want to have on when you "hit the ground running"?

I love my crocs, and wear them round the garden and out to the grocery all the time. However, they are not the most stabile shoes for running and jumping.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
7. Re: Travel Shoes for Air Travel

Think of the recent situation at Heathrow when passengers had to evacuate down the slides. What shoes do you want to have on when you "hit the ground running"?

I think in an emergency situation or crash the last thing I'd be worrying about would be the condition of my feet!

Besides how often do accidents happen? If I were to think like that I'd hit my car with a rollbar, wear a crash helmet and never cross the road...

I still wouldn't wear Crocs though!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
8. Re: Travel Shoes for Air Travel

I am not sure I agree that "slower is better" when moving through security. I do not understand why holding up the line to leisurely remove one's shoes is likely to improve TSA's ability to discover a terrorist.

While I recognize that there is no time limit for moving through security I think it is just socially responsible to comply with regulations as quickly as possible so no one has a greater inconvenience than necessary.

I find it somewhat annoying when the people in front of me are not prepared with a plastic bag for liquids, have to stop and remove their laptop from it's bag, spend five minutes removing their shoes and just do all of the things that they could have done in advance.

I certainly do not care how long it takes you to put your shoes back on after passing through security so long as you do not hold up the line while doing it. I would, however, note that the plane is indeed going someplace. I assume that is why you are at the airport in the first place.

I also appreciate the loyalty some people have for their Crocs, but I would not wear them in public. Their are many attractive shoes that provide the same easy on, easy off features as Crocs.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
9. Re: Travel Shoes for Air Travel

Actually TSA needs to stop wasting our time making everyone (including infants) take their shoes off. X-ray machines don't detect explosives!

If Richard Reid had decided on an underwear bomb instead of a shoe bomb this post would read: "I fly a lot. Nowadays, I wear Thongs on travel days. These are nice and comfortable underwear that you can just slip to the side for the rectal explosive probe...."

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 222
10. Re: Travel Shoes for Air Travel

I do not know what Crocs are. I assume some sort of faddy footwear. No matter.

Busy retired. By going slower you give the checkers longer to check. You relieve the pressure to move folk like cattle with skimped inspections. Slower is better.

Lack of preparation with plastic baggies and lap tops can be annoying, and thoughtless, and should be done in advance. You surely are not suggesting we take off our footwear some yards back in the Q? No one is 'holding up the line' the line is going nowhere! We are just removing our footwear. No one is being inconvenienced. If they are in such a rush they should have got to the airport earlier. It is the rush to get to the Sales area (sorry, Departure Lounge)that permits mistakes. Nice to note you do not care how we get our shoes back on as long as you are not inconvenienced. We will all get to the Gate in time. Don't blame the security line if you have left it too late.