We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of flights to USA

Huddersfield
reviews: 3
Cost of flights to USA

Hello,

We are planning on flying to Los Angeles from either Manchester or Heathrow 24/May to 5/June. To book the fares now they seem to range anywhere between £450 to £550. However if we chose to go during the previous month then they are at least £100 less. My question is does any think or have any experience that if we leave the booking for a few more weeks then there is a good chance that the fares will drop a bit in price.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Ian & Helen

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 131
11. Re: Cost of flights to USA

I've transferred though Schipol several times and never had any issues with luggage going awry. When connecting, you can experience problems with luggage on any airline transferring through any airport - and the majority of passengers through Schipol are transferring passengers (just like BA @ Heathrow, and the majority of airlines in top 10 airlines with lost baggage are at major hubs).

I know it's not a pleasant experience if it ever does happen to you, but as stated previously KLM really are one of the better trans-atlantic carriers.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 16
12. Re: Cost of flights to USA

KLM at AMS worst for lost luggage? I don't believe it. It would be nice to see the figures though.

If someone asked me for worst lost luggage airlines or airports, I'd go for BA at LHR or (ex-) US airways.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 131
13. Re: Cost of flights to USA

I can't find the actual list of 10 worst airlines for lost luggage, but the attached link gives you an idea of who are on there. BA and bmi mainly because of problems encountered at Heathrow (August 2007 - 5 days of delays/cancellations). As you can see, most of the carriers have large connecting hubs, and this is one of major causes of delayed baggage. KLM are on there, but bear in mind majority of passengers are in transit through Schipol airport.

Don't let this list put you off travelling any of the mentioned airlines, as my experience with KLM I have never lost any baggage. Yet, I have travelled on a charter flight (no connection, point A to point B) and had a suitcase that didn't make it on my flight. Whatever happens, enjoy your flight...

independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/bri…

14. Re: Cost of flights to USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, September 21, 2009