We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to REALLY get what you want

Rockaway, New Jersey
reviews: 51
How to REALLY get what you want

Ok, so there are always people complaining about airlines and wanting to know who to write to. Well, there is a feature in one of my monthly travel magazines where they ask an anonymous person who works in various aspects of the travel industry to confess about REALLY goes on behind the scenes. (It was where I found out that the myth of hotels giving people who book through Expedia, Travelocity, etc. the worst room they have is not a myth at all. I thought it was just a coincidence.) This month, the person is an airline executive working in public and customer relations. Regarding complaints:

"Executives are concerned about the company's image, and the most effective complaints go right to the top with threats of talking to the media or the Department of Transportation. Those complaints are handed off to someone like me whose job it is to make you feel better -- in the form of free tickets if you're lucky."

So, there ya go.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Moorea
reviews: 61
1. Re: How to REALLY get what you want

Good evening,

What the industry (in general, airline, hotels, restaurants and service) needs is a dose of their own service

Read what happened moons ago when the Ceo of Eastern Airlines (yes kids there was such a beast then) Mr Richenbacker ( of World war one aviation fame himself) was appalled by the level of complaints for the luggage (or lack there of). He chartered a few flights for a week end trip for the employees and made sure that the said employees (from different sides of the customer service)did not get the luggage upon arrival. Had to wait , fill forms, called and got or not responses.... Guess what happened?

Luggage service went for the better from that day.

Cost cutting, lack of training and underpay for those jobs where unfortunately for the rest of the company that person might be the only badge a client will see....does cost at the ends millions to the said company in compensations and lost repeat business.

This forum is filled on a daily basis with all the "Never again, don't , Avoid etc,..." Sad stste of the industry. not one company yet has been saved from such verbal rash.

One day someone up there might remember that this country was built on customer service... When was the last time filling up that someone asked to check for your tyres or the oil?

Meherio

Gulfport, Florida
reviews: 24
2. Re: How to REALLY get what you want

Meherio:

This country was built on customer service? Hmmm. I assume you mean the U.S.? If so, I wonder why you think so

To the main topic:

I am not convinced that "good service" is a good business model for a general service airlines. "Everyone" seems to book the cheapest fare without regard to service or reputation. I'll pay extra not to fly certain carriers (Iberia, Spirit, USAir come immediately to mind, but there are others). Yet I think I am in a small minority.

If poor service does not equate to poor earnings (and, perhaps more importantly, poor executive comp) there is no reason to improve the service.

Paul

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 48
3. Re: How to REALLY get what you want

"One day someone up there might remember that this country was built on customer service... "

Which country? French Polynesia?

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 60
4. Re: How to REALLY get what you want

Paul -

Thank you! Every once in a while I think I am a lone voice in the wilderness when it comes to this (see many of my posts on the subject). The airlines won't focus on customer service until there is reason to do so. As long as people keep filling the planes when service is crappy, service will remain crappy.

UK
reviews: 89
5. Re: How to REALLY get what you want

"Everyone" seems to book the cheapest fare without regard to service or reputation."

yep, look what happened to American when they removed seats and put in decent legroom (34in in coach), the majority preferred to sit cramped up 8-10 hours by saving $20 on cheaper flights, so American have gone back to less legroom, cheaper flights now.

6. Re: How to REALLY get what you want

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, September 13, 2009