We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

Australia...
reviews: 5
BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

In a cheap and thoroughly disrespectful way of making money from their customers, AIG Insurance with the obvious blessing of Tiger Airways has commenced fooling people into taking out insurance that they may not want.

Here's how it works: contrary to expected practice, best practice, fair trading practice and the law as it relates to insurance, the Tiger Airways site requires you to actively opt-out of the insurance option. So if you miss clicking the button which says "No, I don't want insurance" then you pay. What a sad little scheme this is. Having missed (as I think many will) the necessity to click the button and having realised that I had purchased something that I did not want, I immediately contacted Tiger Airways and AIG. This was a mammoth effort in itself as they seem to be intentionally hiding their contact details. And don't just try replying to their confirmation e-mail. It bounces.

Once you locate an email address, do not expect anything close to reasonable service or response. I have asked them to forward the letter to the AIG and Tiger Airways Boards but they refuse to confirm that they have done this despite 5 requests. One can only assume that they have not forwarded my complaint.

On the substantive issue of tricking people into insurance, their eventual response denying my right to cancel the unwanted policy included the utterly disingenuous "The insurance option check box is pre-checked in order to maximize convenience for our customers". It is only really convenient for the companies involved. I am having difficulty in establishing where I experienced the "convenience" in all of this.

I, personally, won't be booking any more flights with Tiger Airways until they and AIG insurance change their internet sales practices. Additionally, I am pursuing the matter with regulatory authorities in Singapore and Australia.

Please note that this occurs when booking through the Singapore portal and possibly through other portals when booking to depart or arrive in Singapore.

You have been warned.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

<<< contrary to expected practice, best practice, fair trading practice and the law as it relates to insurance, >>>

Fairly typical now for insurance and other "optionals" like online checkin / priority boarding to be "helpfully" added to your booking and for you to have to remove them. Still if it means I can get a 1p flight why should I care

Doubt if it's illegal in many countries in the world

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 27
2. Re: BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

Alanrow asks why should you care? Because if these airlines (Ryanair is another) continue to get away with what can at best be described as sharp business practice then ultimately standards of service will drop further and these airlines will start to find more and more ways to relieve us off our money.

Whatever happened to the customer always being king?

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 5
3. Re: BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

A reminder it would seem then to read carefully and thouroughly what it is you are agreeing to purchase before clicking the button! You admit you missed it, it's not their fault you didn't read it properly!

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 20
4. Re: BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

I agree with kayelly, you should always carefully read the details before you click "accept".

It is pretty common in Canada, too, and matt_and_suzie have given good advice as a warning to other travellers.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
5. Re: BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

<<< Whatever happened to the customer always being king? >>>

Never existed - except as far as it enabled the company to screw more money out of you.

BTW see Ryanair's new wheeze - it'll be pay toilets (extra for paper) next

Geneva
6. Re: BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

Or simply don't book with companies that force you to opt out of charges rather than opt-in.

The only reason for the opt-out is to catch people out, so to me it qualifies as a sharp practice. A pop-up saying "Are you SURE you don't want insurance" which Ryanair does anyway when you opt out is sufficient for people who want the insurance but neglected to check the box.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Coolangatta
reviews: 15
7. Re: BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

thanks for warning

im getting annoyed with making bookings on certain airlines websites, you have to check off no i dont want insurance, why has this become so big now.

it used to be make your reservation and if you want insurance, find out.

we dont all want the insurance that airline is offering.

sometimes you feel like, oh gee if i dont take this insurance out something bads going to happen.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 60
8. Re: BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

This is actually why I have gone back to the good old practice of using a travel agent for my vacation runs. Yes, I may pay a small fee for the use of their services, but it avoids all the 'gotchas' so I at least KNOW what I am paying for.

Scotland
reviews: 13
9. Re: BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

Don't know what your local laws are, but in the UK all financial products such as insurance are subject to a two-week 'cooling-off' period during which the contract can be cancelled (assuming you haven't used it!).

This is supposed to act as a protection against people being pressured into buying products they do not need.

Financials is the one area where the legal principle is caveat vendor, rather than the usual caveat emptor.

You should be informed of this at the time of buying.

Brisbane
10. Re: BEWARE: AIG Insurance and Tiger Airways Trick

It's interesting to note the parallel between Ryanair and Tiger.. The Ryanair family in fact has a stake in Tiger... 20% from memory.

I agree that his "up selling" is unacceptable.... They suck us in with the promise of a cheap flight which, in some cases, turns out to cost as much as a full service fare.. but without the service and flexibility.