We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Credit Card requirement

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 277
Delta Credit Card requirement

This time a used Delta to fly to the USA and they really did a horrible and unexcusable thing.

I bought the tickets on the internet and paid with my local credit card.

When checking inn at the counter they demanded to see the card which I use to pay. Of course I did not have it with me. I was going to the USA and have a USA card for that purpose. They would not let me board the plane unless I showed them the local card.

Believe it or not, I had to go all the way back home and bring the card to show it to them before they gave me the boarding pass !

Its incredible !

What would have happened if I had, lets say ,lost the card and had replaced it by a new one ?

I will NEVER fly Delta again !!

Travelling The World
reviews: 18
11. Re: Delta Credit Card requirement

Agreed.

I have a flight on Thursday on Air France. The ticket was purchased by a 3rd party, but the eletronic confirmation says I must produce both my reservation number and the credit card at check in. (In any event I plan to check in online.) How is anyone whose work, friend or relative pays for a ticket going to fulfil this requirement? That must be an awful lot of people everyday.

In a fortnight I am flying Aer Lingus. No metion on their confirmationn about the need to present the card.

It has certainly never been an issue on any low-cost I have flown.

That said, I have never had a problem not having the card, so I don't worry too much about it.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 56
12. Re: Delta Credit Card requirement

What about business travellers whose accounts department pay for flights? It seems a bit of overkill!

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
13. Re: Delta Credit Card requirement

Almost all the many flights I buy on line specify that I must produce the Credit Card used to pay for the tickets. The last 4 digits are often printed thus on the e ticket. *******1234. I have not always been asked for it but that is not to say I would not be. As for buying tickets, for others, such as an elderly friend heading to USA, I specify 'Card holder not travelling' and she does not have any bother. It is not a security matter, it is to stop (or try to stop card fraud) i.e. Buy a high value fully refundable ticket with a stolen card and then get the value refunded. That is why when I recently bought two tickets to a West African country I was not permitted to pay on line but had to take the reservation to a BA Office and pay there.

Failure to produce the card should NOT preclude travel as long as you have other suitable ID.

Travelling The World
14. Re: Delta Credit Card requirement

That's a good point about fraud vs security, but the £70 return AF ticket my company bought me from LCY to Geneva on Thursday hardly falls into the high-value refundable category!

I think common sense should and does prevail. I recently tried to buy my daughter and her boyfriend tickets to Canada to visit my mother using her credit card. They called her to check before they issued the tickets, which I think was very sensible. And as for being asked for *the* credit card, the one time this has been an issue (my card was stolen in the meantime) I was told by the airline (Lufthansa) that as long as I presented any card with the same name on it as the one used to book the ticket, I would be fine. In the event, they accepted my Star Alliance FF card.

Isle of Man, United...
15. Re: Delta Credit Card requirement

Hi WV,

I agree about AF @ £70. (FlyBe do it as well) but I think this is a matter of 'staff nous' or lack of it.

i.e. Where do you put the minima? Far easier to not have one then no arguments when minima breached by a couple of quid. £99 ok! £101 Card please! You can imagine the rest.

Travelling The World
16. Re: Delta Credit Card requirement

Actually, I think the key should be the refundability of the ticket. If it's a fully open and refundable ticket you should have to go in person with the card if you want to cash it in (and really it should only be refunded back to the card) or present the card to use it, in case the ticket was stolen.

Otherwise the fraud protection should be at the point of purchase, as it was when I tried to use my mother's card.

Isle of Man, United...
17. Re: Delta Credit Card requirement

I agree but I didn't invent the rule and we must dumb down to the lowest denominator. That way we all get inconvenienced!

18. Re: Delta Credit Card requirement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, September 05, 2009