We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying luggage. Ned Help

dallas,texas
reviews: 21
Buying luggage. Ned Help

Going to Italy for 3 weeks. Venice, Florence,Tuscany and Rome. Will be on trains from Venice to Florence, and Florence to Rome. Your advice on the luggage I am considering. Two pieces by "Travelpro",one is Flightpro4, and next is a Crew5 Expandable... all are 26". The third is "DELSEY" Helium Breeze Expandable. 26". Any advice you might have about these brands will be appreciated. Many Thanx. Mary

USA
reviews: 11
11. Re: Buying luggage. Ned Help

I once felt that good expensive luggage was an investment. Now I feel that luggage is replaceable and should not be terribly expensive. I won't buy the cheapest thing I find but I won't spend on the high-ticket ones either. Somewhere in the mid price range makes sense to me. Luggage is always on sale somewhere. Look for sales. Make sure whatever you buy has good wheels, of course. The expandable kind is nice but that is also a weak point in the construction. I do have that kind, however. Make sure you don't buy something too big for you to handle. Whatever you buy as a carryon should be something you can heft up into the overhead compartment without straining your back! An additonal tip is to get some color other than black.

dallas,texas
12. Re: Buying luggage. Ned Help

Rex-Diver and Muffya - Again thank you for your answers. Muffya I do belong to Costco and will give them a "look-see". It just seems that a 26" isn't as common as I first thought.....but, I will find it. Thanks again, MaryDallas

Travelling The World
reviews: 17
13. Re: Buying luggage. Ned Help

You can see the 26" expandable KIrkland here:

http://tinyurl.com/2v2mfz

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
reviews: 2
14. Re: Buying luggage. Ned Help

That's the one I have and has been indestructable. I take two for our family of 4. I also have their 22 in bag for short trips. IMO can't beat it for the price! My parents have had the same bags, and finally after 12 years of use, they had to replace one. They travel all the time, so their's gets even more abuse/use.

Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 7
15. Re: Buying luggage. Ned Help

Travelpro Walkabout Lite line is lighter weight. I LOVE THE TRAVELPRO luggage. I would never pay full price. I bought in two places:

- Macys on a VERY GOOD SALE

- Ebags.com (great prices and free shipping over a certain $$$$)

Ebags also has EXCELLENT product descriptions.

Whatever airline you are using go to their website and check the baggage requirements CAREFULLY (size, weight) for both checked and carryon. While most regularly scheduled airlines have roughly the same size requirements, there are enough variances to make one worry a bit.

GENERALLY

Carryon (1)- 45 in total dimensions (weight varies by airline)

checked (2) - 61-62 total dimensions (and USUALLY 50lbs)

The OVERSIZE, and OVERWEIGHT excess charges can put a dent in your cash budget. Overweight runs $25-80 depending on airline, and I've heard of higher rates. The weight breakdown is usually:

- up to 50 pounds

- 51-70 pounds

and I dont know if they even accept higher.

U.S.A. ( the land...
16. Re: Buying luggage. Ned Help

Another vote for Costco's Kirkland!!

dallas,texas
17. Re: Buying luggage. Ned Help

Hi fellow travellers....Have to tell you that I took the "bull by the horns" and got myself to Costco today and bought the Kirkland 26" Executive Expandable (I m sorry sunny island, they had it only in black). Guess I will tie a big red, white, and blue, with stars and stripes on it so I can spot it. I really thank each one of you for your sage advice on size, weights, and most importantly luggage. Now, I can start packing. wooo woooo, Mary

U.S.A. ( the land...
18. Re: Buying luggage. Ned Help

Lol! Happy and safe travels, Mary!!

(Our luggage is black too - we use sturdy, brightly colored name tags from Samsonite and never have a problem spotting them on the carousel).

Travelling The World
reviews: 17
19. Re: Buying luggage. Ned Help

Actually mine is a black Delsey completely unadorned. *Much* easier to spot amongst all those bags with garish labels, strings, bits of tape, tags etc. etc. Mine's the only plain one!!

Safe travels Mary!

dallas,texas
20. Re: Buying luggage. Ned Help

Dear World traveller I think you have the best idea - "leave it plain" and it will stick out like a sore thumb. On our next trip - hope to only go to Sardinia....happy trails to you...Mary