We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 33
Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

We flew home this morning from Orlando to Gatwick with VA economy and were extremely disappointed with the whole experience. From trying to choose seats online, to checking in online, to waiting in line, (two lines actually) for more than 2 hours at Orlando. Then getting the worst meal I have ever been served on an airline, really awful.

After struggling to check in online for over an hour due to their terrble web set up, we arrived at Orlando to near chaos. VA staff didn't know what they doing or what we should be doing either. We were told to join two different queues, by two different people. The queues were all over the place, people wandering in & out of the lines, baggage all over the place & people getting generally angry and frustrated, as we were.

After insisting on some clear guidance we were told to change into the first queue that we had been in, after another member of staff sent us elsewhere. The queue was supposed to be the 'fast bag drop' that really is a laugh! It was moving at the slowest pace I have ever encountered, unbelievable. At one stage the check in attendant disappeared through a door never to return. We all waited in line, with no-one manning the desk. I finally called to a wandering VA member of staff & pointed out that our Fast Drop Desk was un-manned & had been for some time. She went to find a replacement. Thankfully she got someone out in about 10 minutes & the line slowly started to move again.

Once checked in we had hardly any time to relax and get food before boarding, keeping in mind we had arrived at the Airport 4 hours BEFORE our flight!

I had ordered a veggie meal & what I was served was terrble. Think noodles in a vinegar sauce with 2 grey mange tout & that about sums it up. I asked if I could have the veg lasagne being offerred as an alternative to the main meals & was told that they would get back to me as soon as everyone was served & if there was one left.

No-one came back to me until about an hour later when all trays were cleared. I was asked if I still wanted a meal, I declined. They had obviously forgotten all about it. I asked for a coffee at one stage which again never arrived. A member of staff actually came up to me at the end of the flight & jokily asked if I'd ever gotten a coffee. I said no & he found this quite funny. He was a nice chap though & appeared to be just too busy to actually serve everyone. He said there were 10 staff serving 300 passengers, hence the terrible service.

This experience has completely changed my view of VA & I will never fly with them again.

They appear to think that the Orlando flights are something to be endured as the travellers are generally families with children & any old thing will do. They simply did not appear to give a d*m about the lack of good service.

It really was a shambles.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Coolangatta
reviews: 14
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

not too good at all, post in www.airlinequality.com

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Coolangatta
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

also, write to VA!!

Worthing, United...
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

Yes I'll do both as soon as I get over the jet lag!

I emailed VA a week agoabout their terrible website & being unable to manage my flight etc. They emailed backed quite quickly but just with the standard reply " blah, blah, blah, awfully sorry, blah, blah."

So I don't have much faith in them really.

The only real redress is to tell everyone on here about the terrible service they offer & maybe, just maybe, if enough people do the same, if they receive the same type of service, complain, VA might sit up & take notice...........I won't hold my breath though!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 37
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

Travelled with VA a few times to the States, and always thought it compared badly with BA, though not United, who IMO are worse. Food bad, FAs seem more preoccupied with themselves, and on one trip to Boston which was cancelled, check in assistants smirked when told us flight cancelled due to bad weather, and they had not bothered to inform us until we actually tried to check in! Big row ensued, as we would have lost a days holiday, and they refused to give us an extra day, but we stood our ground and got what we asked for. Staff were rude to other travellers too. Planes not that comfy, though amenity kit good. Having said that, prices are reasonale and timing to DC better than BA which swayed it for me so I booked to DC with them for thanksgiving sales. All airlines have faults; you cant win.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Coolangatta
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

yes ALL airlines have faults indeed.

i guess be as prepared as possible for as many situations as we can think of may be the answer LOL !!

Yorkshire
reviews: 1
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

Hi All

I too had a bad experience With Virgin cutomer service; although i must state that the in flight service was very good. However, on return i wrotE to Virgin customer services and waited 28 days for a reply (apart from a standard automated one). In all, the issue i had with Virgin (namely APD vouchers) was eventually settled some 8 weeks after my return. Not great service in my opinion.

However only yesterday i received a customer survey from a company acting on behalf of Virgin. The survey was very much customer service orientated - so it may seem that some of the bad press has filtered through and at least they are testing peoples opinion of Virgin.

Great flying experience just need to sort out the other bits.

Matt

Winter Park, Florida
reviews: 9
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Were you at Disney or Universal area? Why didn't you use their advance check-in and luggage drop service? I have flown that route on Virgin many times and have never failed to be pleased with the efficiency, cabin crews or food. Not sure what happened with you but your report is not indicative of the usual service they offer.

Worthing, United...
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

No we were staying in a private house in Poinciana so only did the check in online. (eventually)

9. Re: Virgin Atlantic's terrble service.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 03, 2009