We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth it? Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy

Melbourne, Australia
Worth it? Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy

Thinking about booking premium economy seats SYD-LON & return because (1) hate flying (2) need SPACE!.

Have looked at BA World Traveller Plus as well, but Virgin appears to have better (wider) seats and greater leg room according to SeatGuru. Has anyone flown this route on either airline? What was your experience? Which would you recommend? Any other tips/insight? Thanks!

North Somerset
reviews: 11
11. Re: Worth it? Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy

I don't think the Virgin flights to Sydney use aircraft with an upper deck; however you should get the new PE seats.

We flew Virgin PE to the US (London - Orlando) and I have to say overall their service was pretty good and the extra space was a real blessing - all-be-it not exactly cheap.

In my view, if you can afford it, go for it! - it will make a long flight a lot more bearable.

We are off to Sydney this summer and have chosen Virgin on the basis that our previous flight have been OK.

Stratford UK
reviews: 1
12. Re: Worth it? Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy

The premium economy service is NOT the same now as Economy. It used to be just the bigger seat, but that has changed.

In PE you get

Dedicated check in desk

Priority boarding and disembarking

the wider seats

the longer seat pitch

Newspaper

Pre flight drink

menu for your meals choice

meals served on china dinnerware and with stainless steel cutlery

liquers

fresh fruit

A PE labled ameinity kit

Prioity baggage claim

Melbourne, Australia
13. Re: Worth it? Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy

thanks for that tip! i would've hoped you'd get a little something extra for the $$$$$ aside from the bigger seat.

London, United...
reviews: 18
14. Re: Worth it? Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy

I'd like to second Warkman's post. And to also add that on Virgin the steward/esses are not the same as Economy. You have dedicated stewards that take care of both FC and PE, and stewards that take care of Economy. Otherwise if you can imagine, it would be too much of a workload.

Re: the "reclining chairs" thread elswhere, we've also suffered people in front of putting their seats back almost immediately after take off on one flight to Orlando. And the people in front would've had the seats down the whole time if the hostess serving meals hadn't asked them to put the seats back up. I'm 5ft 10", my husband is 6' 2", and even my son, at the tender age of 11, is already 5ft 3ins. Goodness knows what height he'll be by next February. And my brother-in-law, who'll be coming with us, is 6ft 3ins. We're a tall family.

So for that reason alone I'm saving up like crazy at the moment so my family and I can share the benefits of PE on our Florida trip next year (it being an 9 and a half hour flight each way), using our Flying Club miles so the cost would be easier to bear. I'd even forego a day at the park,lol.

I would highly recommend PE for those in the position to be able to take advantage of it.

Cheltenham
reviews: 21
15. Re: Worth it? Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy

I like PE with Virgin.

it is not always the best service guareented - this seems to depend on staff for sure

But the seats and service are better than BA, and if you fly on a 747 you have the added, and major, advantage of being upstairs.

Its definitely way better than economy

Winter Park, Florida
reviews: 8
16. Re: Worth it? Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy

Just a note for for_elsa - as VS is updating their PE cabin they are also introducing some service differentiation. Personally, I would go with VS over BA any day for service and attitude. I have found their cabin crews to be excellent on every flight I have taken with them. If you did want to consider the Air NZ option, you might look at their Auckland-Los Angeles-London routing as another possibility.

17. Re: Worth it? Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 01, 2009