We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )

Mandaluyong...
South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )

set to go on a 2-week backpacking trip in october. to start in malaysia (motoGP leg) then work our way up to neighboring countries in a clockwise fashion. looking to cover as much country as we could. list includes: malaysia - thailand - cambodia - vietnam - malaysia.

-whats the best way to hop around these countries .. within 14 days??

-which route to take, and

-were to stay

thank yous...

8 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
1. Re: South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )

Hi and welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! Since you list so many countries (really, all in 2 weeks?), I assume you mean "backpacking" as in "budget travel carrying a backpack" rather than as "self-contained wilderness trekking", so I'm not sure how your questions fall within the scope of this, the "outdoors/ Adventure Travel" forum... would suggest you post your questions in the applicable forums for the countries you hope to visit.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,850
2. Re: South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )

Hello Len_kamotekid

Indeed, welcome to the Outdoor / Adv. Travel forum.

In short, it will not really be possible to see each of these countries in two weeks. Transportation is slow in SE Asia and you will have most of your time in slow moving buses and border crossings I'm afraid.

Realistically with two weeks you are going to be limited to one country like Thailand and then perhaps a side trip to Ankor What in Cambodia. Alternatively, there is plenty to see in Malaysia as well that can take up much of your time. I would not rush away without seeing Cameroon Islands, Penang (perhaps Melaka and KL as well) and perhaps the Perentian islands before you even enter Thailand. Once in Thailand there is 6-8 months with of locations to visit. It is hard to leave. I would spend no less than 3-4 days at a beach resort (Ko Phi Phi, Ko Samui, Ko Samed, Ko Tai or one of many others) and no less than 3-4 days in Bangkok. I would then suggest going to Chang Mai for no less than 3 days and it takes 12 hours to get there from Bangkok. As you can see, your 2 weeks will be finished before you can really even begin to get a feel for Thailand.

Another alternative if you have a big interest in Vietnam is to fly there directly from KL. I would then suggest concentrating on either the North or the South as two weeks is not enough time to see both without being in buses about 1/2 the time.

As such, I'd suggest getting a map, doing a bit of research online and with reading up on lots of forum posts on Tripadvisor and the Lonely Plant GumTree forums so that you can understand what is really possible in two weeks. Then draft a rough plan, post it here and we can help critique for you and offer our thoughts and suggestions.

Best of luck with your research and hope you enjoy your trip planning.

Bukit Lawang...
reviews: 1
3. Re: South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )

Don't you have any plan to go to Sumatra?.

Kathmandu, Nepal
4. Re: South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )

Hi,

Try to research about Nepal. But, it is in south Asia though. I am sure you would find a lots of interesting things.

Mandaluyong...
5. Re: South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )

thanks for all the replies.

honestly (and realistically) .. i know that 2 weeks is a very short time to go see all amazing places in one country.

we will probably minimize it to 2.. we have had the chance to go around KL last year and Penang is our to-go for this year.

am reading and researching for more details and info.

again.. thanks for the responses. :-)

6. Re: South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:36 am, September 04, 2013

7. Re: South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:36 am, September 04, 2013

8. Re: South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, September 04, 2013

Reply to: South East Asia Backpacking ( first attempt.. :D )
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted