We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on these tour companies

CT
reviews: 26
Comments on these tour companies

..a group of friends are looking at small group tours to Myanmar. We have found a 13 day tour organized by Wilderness Travel (WT) and another on Boundless Journeys. Has anyone been on BOTH a WT and a BJ tour? Would you compare and contrast these 2 agencies? Any comments re either of the tours? PS. One our group has been on WT tours in the past and another BJ. I really would like feedback from someone who has been on both OR has been with either group to Myanmar.

7 replies to this topic
CT
reviews: 26
1. Re: Comments on these tour companies

comments?

Oxford, Ohio
2. Re: Comments on these tour companies

I travelled to Myanmar with Boundless (2013) and it was an outstanding trip. I will be taking my 6th trip with Boundless this September and I have nothing but praise for the way they orchestrate and carry out their trips. There are no tourist traps or generic spots in the sights, tastes and hotels and experiences that one encounters. There are picnics amid the ruins of old temples, a intimate visit to a small elephant sanctuary, meals that celebrate the local produce, and visits to wonderful local markets. Our guide was excellent - she was generous in her time, knowledge and experience. Our six-person farewell dinner beside a lake, covered with floating candles, and the flower petal-strewn table where we were served a delicious, picture-perfect meal was indicative of this most excellent adventure. I would not hesitate to recommend this trip to any one. Pat K

Minnesota
reviews: 16
3. Re: Comments on these tour companies

I was just on a trip with Boundless Journeys, and it was a disaster. This was a trip in Turkey. Basically, I had the tour guide from hell and decided to leave the trip early. Boundless appears to simply be a few people in an office very far away from where their trips are--they have no actual personnel on their trips--making arrangements and taking your money. Our guide was a Turkish man who had never guided for them before. He was stressed, anxious, angry--it was like having a jailer. I can't say enough horrible things about this trip. I had to eat thousands of dollars just to get away from this man. He was constantly yelling! I haven't gone on a Wilderness trip, although the other solo woman on our tour had, and she told me that she enjoyed it and the oppression level was not so high.

I do a lot of travel, usually independently, so when I look for a tour it is in order to be social and to have a resource to another culture, not to have a jailer or to be harassed. My guide from Boundless (although I don't think you can really say he's "from" Boundless, since he was a guide they had never used before, picked up from somewhere, I don't know) was not a resource, but more like a harasser. I am still searching for a tour company that I can use from time to time that will give me what I am looking for: to feel the wonder of a new country, to ease some of the stress of making arrangements, and to provide more in-depth knowledge. Even small things I would have been better at planning myself. For instance, I wanted to go to the Archaeological Museum in Istanbul. I brought this up on a Sunday, because I had read that it was closed Monday. My guide was so insistent that I was wrong, that it was closed on Tuesday, that I missed my chance to go (it was, as I had read, closed on Monday). Not that he would have allowed me to go, anyway--I don't think it was on the official "program" and any deviations were severely punished with continual harsh words and beratement.

In short, my experience with Boundless was a disaster. I don't think I need to say that my difficulties were met with indifference and there was no chance of any refund--that is obvious. But it was better for me to leave the tour and lose the money than to endure a solid two weeks of traveling with a man who made me so constantly uncomfortable.

I haven't quite figured out what I am going to do in the future, but I don't think I am going to rely on people sitting in an office thousands of miles away--I will go with local tour operators or else work with my trusted travel agent, or a travel agent that specializes in that region of the world, because those people will be better at their jobs and have some accountability. Or, if I want a trip done right, I'll plan it myself--it's what I've been doing for years now and although it gets lonely and exhausting, those trips are the best.

The World
reviews: 1
4. Re: Comments on these tour companies

RESPONSE TO NEGATIVE TURKEY TRIP REVIEW

At Boundless Journeys we strongly believe in providing outstanding travel experiences crafted from years of experience. Our trip to Turkey is no different. We have been offering this trip since our inception 10+ years ago, and have received outstanding reviews time and time again. We have worked closely with our partners on the ground in Turkey to finesse this itinerary over the years, in order to continue to offer an authentic, immersive, off-the-beaten path experience. The guide whom Erica is speaking of is one of the most highly regarded guides in Turkey – working for over 20 years in the industry. He received nothing but outstanding praise from all of the other guests on this tour.

At Boundless Journeys we encourage spontaneity and flexibility on every tour, and always encouraged guests to opt in or out of activities as they wish. The only time this may not be possible is when the group is moving from one location to the next, or when it is not safe to do so.

I could go on with more specific details of what occurred on this tour, from the eyes of all of the other guests and the guide, but I don’t think it would serve this forum well. If you are considering traveling to Turkey with Boundless Journeys, give us a call. We will provide you with numerous references, and talk you through every detail of this tour. We can assure you this is a trip of a lifetime, led by only the most experienced, personable, and knowledgeable guides.

Matt Holmes

Boundless Journeys

President and Founder

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
5. Re: Comments on these tour companies

Vintagebabe I would do a Google search for reviews of these two companies to get a broad sense of what people are saying.

You can also see if there are any comments on here by putting the company name in the search box in the green band top of the page.

How long a company has been established and if the phone number isn't premium rate and the address advertised is sound is a good guide. Most of this will be found on their website - contact us

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
6. Re: Comments on these tour companies

Sue, original date July 2013. Made it almost a year before being 'lovingly' awakened by post 2, who has never posted again. Then resurrected again by company rep :-(

Oh how I long for the 6 month closure.......

San Francisco...
7. Re: Comments on these tour companies

I took the Turkey Trip of the Turquoise Coast in May of this year with Boundless Journeys. I have also taken a trip a few years back with Wilderness Travel to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, plus the Safari Trip of the Serengeti, and ended with a few days in Zanzibar. I can only say I had terrific experiences with both companies, considering the vast difference in the style of trips.

The Turkey trip had a filled itinerary of all the things I wanted to see, and had a 13 day trip. Wilderness has a similar trip but is a 16 day trip, including the extra travel days it takes to get to Turkey. The main reason I chose Boundless for this trip was because of the length of time seemed to be a better fit for me. I also am primarily a solo traveler when it comes to adventure travel because I don't have many acquaintances who want to follow itineraries, or more to the point- do not want to incorporate hiking and trekking as part of their vacation. I prefer the adventure trips with physical activity, historical knowledge from a good guide, and a portion of the trip to relax, which on this trip included a 6 day boat cruise on a Gullet (sp?). And I like the group trips for the social aspect as well, in can be very rewarding to travel with 'like' people who enjoy the same kind of plan. Though I will say I always pay the solo supplement so in case there is someone or something I need a break from I know I have the security of my own room.

This particular trip with Boundless actually went beyond my expectations in many ways. Having them manage all the planning and experience they have with Turkey made the stress of planning this kind of varied trip stress free. They even went beyond my normal experience by asking if there was anything special I might like to do. After a day to absorb such a wonderful plus I asked if they could book a massage on my arrival to get all the kinks of a long flight out before starting my trip with them. they made it happen, at the time and day I wanted! Plus I asked if I could have sparkling mineral water on the boat, since it's all I drink, and again no problem.

The group was a small one made up of 2 couples related - father/ daughter with their spouses, and me being the 5th wheel , plus of course the kind. It was the best group of people I have ever traveled with! The family was very inclusive and a great deal of fun, and the guide was absolutely incredible in his knowledge of Turkey, especially all the archaeology sites. It turned out to be his 1st trip with Boundless, but had been working for another adventure travel company for 15 plus years, and was a retired Archaeologist who had spent time on many of the sites we went to, plus came to find out he had published 6 books on several of the spots we visited! I came to love my time in Turkey so much that I decided to extend my trip by a week in Antalya. Boundless Journeys travel agent helped make the changes to my flight home, and the guide after dropping of the 2 other couples delivered me to a wonderful hotel near the ocean! That day was a sad day for all. We had become quite found of our little group and hated to see it end!

In the beginning there had been a 6th person who had joined the trip at the last moment. Even though she had traveled a great deal she had never done a group trip before, and within the 1st day became frustrated by having to follow an itinerary that the rest of us had time to prepare and look forward to. She made things tense for all with her continued pressure to do things differently, and she bowed out of several plans and put our guide in an uncomfortable position. Gratefully for all she pulled out of the trip after about the 3rd or 4th day, and with a great sigh of relief we went on our merry way. As I have said many times some people are just not right for group travel! It takes a bit of giving up control and placing yourself in the hands of those who are experts in what they do, and sitting back to enjoy the ride! I look forward to turning my body and soul over to Boundless Journeys again in a great adventure to some unexplored land!

Reply to: Comments on these tour companies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted