We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitewater Rafting - What do you tip the Guide?

McKinney, Texas
reviews: 20
Whitewater Rafting - What do you tip the Guide?

We are going whitewater rafting in TN next week. What is an appropriate amount to tip the guide for a 2 hour trip? Our family is 2 adults, 3 teens and an 11 year old.

Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 80
1. Re: Whitewater Rafting - What do you tip the Guide?

Hello Mom4boys6,

Welcome to the Outdoor / Adventure Travel forum,

Tipping customs are usually regionally specific so I'd post this question on the USA forums and perhaps go directly with the Tennessee forum where you holiday destination seems to be. Here is the link to that destination forum if helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28963-i149-Tennes…

Hope you find the information you are looking and have a nice holiday.

Victoria Falls...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Whitewater Rafting - What do you tip the Guide?

I thought i should help you, i am a rafting guide in Colorado and been guiding for 18 years. as a guide we appreciate anything but remember your lives are in this guy`s hands who will take you on the river for 2 hours and some of the companies don't pay well their guides as they know that customers will tip. so i will say any amount from $50 to $100 will be a good day for your guide.

Philani Moyo Owner and director Shockwave Adventures

Texas
reviews: 43
3. Re: Whitewater Rafting - What do you tip the Guide?

I recently read that it is suggested to tip 15-20 percent of the cost of your trip.

Columbus
reviews: 46
4. Re: Whitewater Rafting - What do you tip the Guide?

I agree with j'smomTexas. 15-20% of the total cost for all of you

5. Re: Whitewater Rafting - What do you tip the Guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 31, 2014