We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Family Ski Holiday

Galway, Ireland
First Family Ski Holiday

I am looking for ideas for Ski Holidays in Austria 2014 ,it will be the first time for our two boys who will be 4-6 years , We dont want to spend a fortune just looking for reasonable value with a few extra's for the kids. We would be flying into Salzburg !!! be good if the transfer was not too long .

Cheers

14 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,943
1. Re: First Family Ski Holiday

Hello Adrian L,

Welcome to the Outdoors / Adventure Travel Forum,

Do make sure you spend some time on the Austria forum as well so the local experts and regular visitors that support those forums can find your query and offer you their suggestions. Here is the link if helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g190410-i146-Austr…

Good luck with your trip research and hope you find a nice holiday

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 106
2. Re: First Family Ski Holiday

Adrian, if it is your first time, I am not sure I would recommend Austria. The concept of "beginner slopes/pistes" really doesn't exist, and Austria is one of the more expensive places to go skiing.

Instead, I would look at skiing in France or Italy.

Here's a link you might find helpful...

tripadvisor.com/Inspiration-g4-c6-Europe.html

Galway, Ireland
3. Re: First Family Ski Holiday

Thanks for that , do I need to post it again in that forum, first time using trip advisor

Galway, Ireland
4. Re: First Family Ski Holiday

Thanks Laura, will start going through it. I am starting early and to keep within a reasonable budget

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
5. Re: First Family Ski Holiday

I would look through the list, and then post in the forums that you are interested in; DEs in that forum will be able to give you very specific information.

Lancaster, United...
reviews: 9
6. Re: First Family Ski Holiday

Laura, have you ever. Actually skied in Austria?!

With the exception of the bigger, more popular resorts like St Anton (the Arlberg) and Ischgl Austria is cheaper than France for things like beer, on and off mountain food and quite often lift passes. Ok the accommodation may be more expensive but the rooms are often bigger and the people more welcoming. They don't really do green slopes, but there are plenty of resorts with lots of blue runs that are perfect for beginners. Quite a few resorts close to Salzburg and the Austrian resorts tend to have much easier transfers than some of the French resorts as they are farming villages that have developed in to skiing villages in the winter and so are often just off main road/rail links and don't have the winding access roads that some of the French resorts have which add to transfer times. I don't really know the eastern side of Innsbruck too well, although I learnt to ski in Zell am See, not too far from Salzburg, good ski school as well as other activities available for the little ones such as tobogganing and swimming.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
7. Re: First Family Ski Holiday

In my experience, the total ski experience is a better value in Italy and France than in Austria.

Lancaster, United...
reviews: 9
8. Re: First Family Ski Holiday

Fair enough, it just seemed like a sweeping generalisation to say that beginner slopes don't really exist, when in fact they do and places like the Ziller valley and the Ski Welt are perfect for beginners (and a village within the latter would suit the OP with transfer times from Salzburg under 2hrs, ditto the Ski Amade) with wide slopes that are often quiet. All down to the resorts at the time you visit them I guess.

Galway, Ireland
9. Re: First Family Ski Holiday

I have been in Austria a few times as well as France and like you said its the Transfers that are a killer in France especially if you have kids. I just rather Austria and I have been in Italy which is good as well but I am fixed on Austria for the first go with the kids. Would you recommend any self catering or Hotels in the Salzburg region ??

Piesendorf, Austria
10. Re: First Family Ski Holiday

Hi Adrian, Have you also been looking at the Snowheads (UK) Forum?? There are quite a few threads like this one at that platform.

Reply to: First Family Ski Holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted