We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much do I pay and how? Vacation Rental in Los Angeles

Los Angeles
How much do I pay and how? Vacation Rental in Los Angeles

I found a house in west Los Angeles (Culver City) which would be perfect for my family of 9 who is coming to visit me from another country. The house has 4 bedrooms and is owned by an older man. The house is $2,000 per week, plus $250 cleaning fee and $500 deposit.

My family decided on the house and now we're not sure how to proceed. Can there be a scam even though I saw the house and met the person renting it out? I've heard so many stories and I just don't want to put my family through something that is not a economically safe.

He wants to sign a contract, and seemed completely legitimate. But then he asked for all the money up front, which made me hesitate. I get that he need some kind of insurance that they are going to show up, but to pay $7,000 up front seems a little much before getting any keys? Or is this common?

Please help me, I feel like it is my responsibility to make sure they get what they want and don't get scammed. Any answer or opinion is appreciated. Thank you!

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
1. Re: How much do I pay and how? Vacation Rental in Los Angeles

Got his name and address? Do a online background check. Fees are minimal but IMO sounds like you've already vetted him sufficiently -- you've met him, got his vitals, and presume you've read the contract? Requiring all payment in advance is not that uncommon. In the end it's a gut feel.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
2. Re: How much do I pay and how? Vacation Rental in Los Angeles

If the rental dates are in the near future (i.e. within six weeks), paying the total up front is not unusual. Most owners I know take deposits on rentals further in the future, but require the balance six weeks in advance of arrival.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
3. Re: How much do I pay and how? Vacation Rental in Los Angeles

As others have said, payment up front is common. If you can, pay using a Credit Card - that protects both him and you far more than a check.

4. Re: How much do I pay and how? Vacation Rental in Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 07, 2014