We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questionable Short-Term Rental Offer -Silver Gold Apartment

FERNANDINA BEACH
reviews: 78
Questionable Short-Term Rental Offer -Silver Gold Apartment

Comments: My wife found a listing for short-term rentals in London, England, and other places, on Craig's List [Red Light]. As we were looking for a short-term flat in London, I looked at the listing's home page. The listing agency was shown as Silver Gold Apartment [not "Apartments"]. The unit offered seemed ideal and at a ridiculously low price, GBP 35 per day, for the flat. Too good to be true [second Red Light]. The agency claimed two locations, one on Broadway in NYC, the other in the London outskirts.

I contacted Silver Gold Apartment about the Sloane Street, London unit and was sent a booking form. Silver Gold Apartment asked 40% of the lease price plus a damage deposit of GBP 200 for the London unit upfront, before the actual street address would be disclosed. The funds were to be sent by bank transfer to Barclay's Bank. [another Red Light]

The NYC phone was questionable, with an 845 area code, rather than a usual NYC 212 code [Red Light]. I checked phone number on my computer, finding it was a Spring Valley, NY, listing. Additionally several fraud alerts came up, alleging the agency was letting units that did not exist or ones not under contract to them. {Multi-colored warning lights]

On receiving a followup message from Silver Gold asking for the completed rental form and proof of bank transfer, I replied mentioning the items that came up on my computer search of their phone number, and asking for the actual address of the Sloane Street flat, stating I would have a froend in UK verify the apartment existed and was under congtract through Silver Gold Apartment, then I would complete the forms and make the bank transfer. I have had no follow on contact with Silver Gold, which leads me to conclude that the allegations of fraud might well be sustained.

MORAL - If it appears too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

"Chuck"

London, United...
reviews: 97
1. Re: Questionable Short-Term Rental Offer -Silver Gold Apartment

for the best advice about renting in London use the London forum

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
2. Re: Questionable Short-Term Rental Offer -Silver Gold Apartment

Glad you did your homework before you sent the money! Well done!

I also recommend that you post your warning on the London forum so it can be added to that forum's long list of apartment rental scams.

FERNANDINA BEACH
reviews: 78
3. Re: Questionable Short-Term Rental Offer -Silver Gold Apartment

Thanks to both you and Barbexpat. My item i now on the London forum.

We have taken short term rentals in London, Edinburgh, Kelso and Tanuilt in the past few years and we fortunate that we were not taken. Reckon that was a result of initially finding the facilities through Visit Britain.

Chuck

4. Re: Questionable Short-Term Rental Offer -Silver Gold Apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 04, 2014