We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interval International

Duddon, null...
Interval International

Could some body tell me about Interval International are there time shares any good and do they work ok with there getaways thanks.

45 replies to this topic
Staten Island, New...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Interval International

http://www.intervalworld.com/web/my/home

-----------------------------------------

Resort Directory + more.....

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 117
2. Re: Interval International

II is one of the larger timeshare exchange companies on the planet. It is not as powerful as it once was with RCI now into timeshare ownership as well as exchanging and the emergence of DAE as a timeshare exchange company. With all timeshare exchange companies stock available is dependant upon the stock deposited with owners. II is not as popular down under where DAE has become the major player in the area. There have been criticisms of the quality of stock of II over recent times as have similar claims been made about RCI. From a personal perspective because I tend to holiday down under I gave away RCI and II both many years ago as their high upfront membership fees and inability to get exchanges where I wanted made them a waste of money.

Duddon, null...
3. Re: Interval International

Could anybody let me know is it worth buying into interval international and useing there getaways,Plus do you have to pay maintainance fees if you dont exchange my week,Have just got back and bought into this package but have a14 day cooling off period to cancel

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 117
4. Re: Interval International

Maintenance fees are payable irrespective whether or not you exchange. Maintenance fees are paid to your home resort to meet the cost of maintenance. If you wish to exchange you pay an additional fee to the exchange company eg II, RCI or DAE. You have to decide the liklehood of exchanging or using your home resort. If your initial reaction is to use your home resort hold off paying any II fees until you think that you may use their services. In the interim take time to check out II inventory and check if these are places and resorts you want to stay at.

I wonder if you should cancel this deal until you have been able to carry due diligence on how timeshare works and how to make it work for you. I am left with the feeling that you may end up regretting the money you are about to outlay.

Edited: 4:03 am, April 14, 2013
Olympic Penninsula
reviews: 75
5. Re: Interval International

I started with RCI in 1978 and had good luck for many years, but now that they are on points, I quit. I deposited 2 weeks and paid fees, then got home and they said my points were so good, that I still had a week credit (which I could use for 2 weeks if I paid the exchange fees). That would have resulted in my paying 4 times for 2 weeks of deposit. no thank you. My other timeshare only used II so on a trip around the world I booked weeks in India, Indonesia and Malaysia for handicapped rooms. II said I'd have to contact resorts directly to be sure I got handicapped rooms. I called long distance for months and nobody ever had gotten my reservations. Finally II admitted they only send them to the resorts a week ahead of time. No wonder I didnt get handicapped rooms. So no thanks to II also.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,503
6. Re: Interval International

We belong to Interval International and have stayed at several throughout the United States.

For example, we stayed at the Marriott in Lake Tahoe, the Marriott in Branson, Tahiti Village in Las Vegas, Welk in San Diego, Riverpointe in Napa, British Columbia and more. They have all been stellar resorts. We have of course stayed at our home time share as well in the Lake Tahoe area several times.

In terms of our exchanges, we have always saved money from what we would have paid as a standard guess.

You need to be a bit flexible with where you want to go and when you want to go - they have good resorts but as you might imagine, many of their resorts are not always available. You need to look for them and be willing to go on line a couple of time each month to line up with where you want to go, stay, in synch with your vacation time (if you are working and not flexible just to go on vacation anytime you want to.)

I have found both our time share and Interval International program both stellar - they both have spoiled me in terms of quality and price. Flexibility is where it sometimes suffers.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,503
7. Re: Interval International

Your maintenance fees are based upon your home time share = and as such you have to pay for maintaining the week(s) you have paid there. It has NOTHING to do with interval international and as such, if you trade, you still have to pay your yearly maintenance fees. For me that is $500 for 2 weeks vacation each year or $250 for a week vacation. Its hard to find any lodging at that rate any where in the world......for that rate.

And we got reasonable deals on our time shares and they are paid off.

Now the key thing is to ask yourself: Do you like your home resort (if no - then abort)

do you like the price you paid on your home resort (if no - abort)

are your yearly maintenance fees less than what you pay for lodging at another place for 7 days (if more, then abort)....

in my case, all 3 stayed in my favor in terms of purchasing the time share The time share I have actually pays for my yearly membership dues there too as well as at another time share exchange club called Trading Places. So also check what your time share pays for and what you pay for....

Duddon, null...
8. Re: Interval International

The sales rep said i did,nt have to pay maintainance fees if i did,nt exchange i could use the getaways and pay £90 year is this right.??

Duddon, null...
9. Re: Interval International

Thank you for all your info in helping me decide to buy into interval international ive decided to cancell and get a refund it sounds like to much hard work trying to get what they promiced us.

Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 9
10. Re: Interval International

Sorry this is probably late getting to you but there are 2 ways you can book a resort through Interval. The first is an Exchange where you deposit your resort's week in the system and then exchange it for the inventory in the system. With this way you still need to pay your maintenance fees to your home resort (you can't join Interval without being an owner of a participating resort). You also have to pay the exchange fee.

What the person you were speaking with was talking about is the second way to book and that is a Getaway. You can only purchase Getaways if you are a member of Interval. This is basically booking a week similar to how you would book a hotel on Expedia or some other travel site. The weeks and resorts you can book are searchable on the Interval site and the ony fee you pay is the rental fee which varies depending on the size of the room you are booking and the resort. There are some that are close to $300 USD for the week but these are usually a hotel room (no cooking facilities) and in the shoulder seasons. With that said the prices for a week in any of the sizes are usually cheaper for the week than booking through another travel site.

Reply to: Interval International
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions