We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriot Timeshare

New York City, New...
Marriot Timeshare

my husband and I have been paying for a 10,000 $ timeshare in Orlando for 15 years,, we've never used it. First of all we were never informed that we were actually signing a mortgage on a hotel room. Secondly we were not informed that we could only use it 4 months out of the year. Initially we were told we could use it alternate years, now we are being told we have to book a year in advance to use it and still only in the four months which they consider off season. We also pay property tax and common charges on a space we've never been allowed to use. Over the course of the years we've paid in excess of 25,000$ for a 10,000 $ room that we've never been able to use and we can't get in touch with anyone in Marriot Headquarters to explain this to us. I realize the meaning of Caveat Emptor but is this the kind of business that Marriot Hotels is running.

12 replies to this topic
Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
1. Re: Marriot Timeshare

I'm a Marriott TS owner and I've never had trouble speaking by phone with a Marriott rep. I'm sadden you know so little about your timeshare ownership rules and usage. $10K is a lot of money for nothing.

Call 800-307-7312 today and ask what you've haven't asked for the last 15 years. There is also a website (below) that you should register ASAP that has all your TS information plus a ton of info that will help you with your ownership. Also check out a great independent Marriott TS forum TUGS at

www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

http://www.marriottvacationclub.com/

Orlando, FL
2. Re: Marriot Timeshare

The best numbers to reach someone at Marriott Vacations Worldwide are listed below:

Owner Serivces: 800 845 4226

Customer Care: 800 860 9384

Email: customer.care@vacationclub.com

reviews: 8
3. Re: Marriot Timeshare

They are a con. Salesmen promise buyers endless trading power to let you trade above your ownership level. Never gonna happen. At least if I'd been mugged I'd have the bruises and scares tell a story about

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
reviews: 85
4. Re: Marriot Timeshare

We use our Marriott Timeshare. Going to Maui and Las Vegas. Traded for these.

Blaine, Minnesota
5. Re: Marriot Timeshare

Salespeople may well overstate things, if anyone is surprised by this when you are buying anything substantial ( cars, appliances, houses, etc.), well you need more help than anyone can give you.

That said, we have been Marriott owners for 15 years this year. Never had a problem trading, have traded "up" plenty of times, etc. If the original poster has an Orlando Marriott week, and they want to trade within the Marriott system of around 50 resorts. It is virtually impossible not to be able to find someplace nice to go as opposed to "never" using it.

The advice given to explore TUG - is spot on. Lots of knowledgable people to help TS owners learn how to maximize the investment they have made.

Some basics, I have learned from that sight are as follows:

1) buy where you like to visit - so if you can't get at trade at a time you want, visit your home resort.

2) Yes there are seasons - don't expect miracles. Trading to Hawaii at peak times is a difficult trade for anyone. If you have a low demand week at a low demand resort - then trading is likely to be more challenging. What I mean by that is, if you own "mud season" at a ski area - that time frame is not worth much, so lower your expectations accordingly, and better yet ask yourself why you would even buy that week.. FYI - An Orlando Marriott is certainly not the highest trader, but all the weeks are pretty darn good.

For Example: We own what I consider to be decent weeks (good weeks not the highest demand areas ) in Orlando and Palm Desert. We have traded most years, almost exclusively during school holiday periods, (spring break, winter break, etc.) We have always gotten a good trade, Cayman Islands, St. Thomas, Hilton Head, Williamsburg, Florida Coast, Disney weeks in Ca. and Florida, more Ski trips to Vail, Breck, and Park City than I can count, and even a trip to Hawaii. Trust me - we've gotten our money's worth.

3)People who plan ahead get the best results. Me, I never worked that hard at it, and couldn't plan more than 3 to 6 months advance and we always had good luck. But I always was willing to travel to a different location if my first choice wasn't available. I've never once been stuck.

4) refer to rule number 1 - trading is an option and since you have to complete a trade it should not be taken as a "given" that all your wishes are going to come true. Be flexible, and find a way to make good use of your weeks. If its not working out - visit your home resort within your season - what's so bad about that.

5) Timesharing isn't for everyone. There is a long term financial responsibility you are taking on in the form of maintenance fees. Remember its every year you need to use it or every other year if that is what you bought. Simply put, it is a commitment in both time and money. Don't buy if you don't fully understand that.

6) A timeshare is not a good financial investment - assume on a cash basis its worth nothing, because many of them are. Look as it as an investment in family or personal time and you'll get a good return. If you buy a major timeshare from Marriott, Hilton, etc. as a resale you'll likely be able to get a very good price and you can use it for a number of years and likely sell at a price close to what you paid for it. I own Marriott weeks from the developer - we'll never get close to what we paid, ever. I am not mad at Marriott, just sorry I didn't research it more before buying. Marriott has fulfilled what they sold me, I just paid a lot for it. After I heard about TUG, I bought a resale Marriott week and I likely could get what I paid or certainly close since I follow what they sell for. I'm not selling, but its good to know what my weeks are worth in the real world.

7) Don't listen to salespeople - do your own research, educate yourself and make informed decisions about ALL large purchases you make.

I hope the original poster can figure out how to use their timeshare and begin to enjoy it.

6. Re: Marriot Timeshare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, June 18, 2013

7. Re: Marriot Timeshare

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, June 18, 2013

8. Re: Marriot Timeshare

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:29 pm, July 01, 2013

9. Re: Marriot Timeshare

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:09 pm, October 16, 2013

Manchester, New...
reviews: 15
10. Re: Marriot Timeshare

We own two Marriott timeshare weeks; one at the Custom House Boston (since 1998), the other at Barony Beach, Hilton Head. (since 2002).

Initially we had no trouble trading and using our properties but the last 4-5 years, since they initiated their Destination Points program (we have not bought into this program), we have had nothing but problems trading.

Has anyone else has similar problems?

Has Marriott over sold their properties or are they trying to push owners into buying into their program?

Would appreciate others comments/suggestions

Reply to: Marriot Timeshare
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions