We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selling my timeshare

Austin, Texas
reviews: 5
Selling my timeshare

Does anyone have experience in selling your timeshare unit? I have been researching companies, but even after all research I am still unsure of what is a scam and what isn't.

30 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 29
1. Re: Selling my timeshare

Unless you own something really special, you will probably have a difficult time selling your timeshare. Most people looking to get out of their obligations, are giving them away . . . literally.

Do you own yours free and clear and are you current with your annual fees (maintenance and/or special assessments)?

Any company that asks you for upfront money to market, list or sell your timeshare is most likely a scam. NEVER PAY MONEY UPFRONT, even if they call it a deposit or something like that.

You may want to check out the Timeshare Users Group (www.tug2.net) for some valuable information. You can also ask folks there about specific companies that you may be considering.

Austin, Texas
2. Re: Selling my timeshare

I do own it outright and am current on my fees. I am not looking to make money on it and am sure I will not get much. I have had it for 25 years and would just like to be removed from it. I will try tug 2.net. Thank you for the info.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3. Re: Selling my timeshare

Depending on what you own, you should be able to find a new home for it. I gave away two TS in 2011, one of which went to a TUG Member (the other went back to the HOA).

Which reminds me, did you check with your resorts POA/HOA to see if they have a "deedback" program?

Austin, Texas
4. Re: Selling my timeshare

I have not. I didn't know that could be an option. I will check that as an option as well. It had also been told to me that you can donate the unit, but I don't know what happens to the financial requirements on the unit if that option is taken.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5. Re: Selling my timeshare

Donating is a slippery course of action too. There is a company called "Donate for a Cause" which has been covered on TUG extensively. Generally speaking they will only take a TS off your hands if you pay them to do so. For the TS I wanted to give away last year (a nice 3BR lockoff fixed week within the Wyndham system), I seem to recall they wanted nearly $3,500.

They calculate how long they anticipate having to own it (while paying the MFs on it) and how much in legal fees they will incur. So it is not a "free" or in my opinion "low cost" option to shed yourself of a TS.

Donate for a Cause will promote that you can take a tax deduction for the donation, but generally speaking timeshare have no value to speak of so the deduction is relatively useless.

If you consider going the donation route, be sure that whatever you get in writing clearly states you are no longer financial responsible for the future fee assessments.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6. Re: Selling my timeshare

In the event you don't make your way over to TUG, you'll at least want to read this post/thread . . . tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182577 .

7. Re: Selling my timeshare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, November 26, 2012

Brazil, Indiana
8. Re: Selling my timeshare

Ah okay! Thanks for this.

Orlando, Florida
9. Re: Selling my timeshare

Be sure to contact your resort management company as well, to obtain correct information on what the transfer of ownership will actually require. If it is deeded, make sure you know what the estimated deeding and escrow (if needed) fees will be. Also ask about a resort/developer transfer fee, estoppels fee, or right of first refusal fee. Once you have a grasp of what the actual transfer costs will be to change ownership- you'll be able to protect yourself from many of the con artists who prey on timeshare sellers.

There are many stories of fake closing costs, hugely inflated title search fees, fake transfer taxes, etc.. Learn as much as possible to protect yourself from timeshare scams.

Bangkok, Thailand
10. Re: Selling my timeshare

I am a member of timeshare too, I want to sell too bcs many hotels and condomenium are available in good price, moreover I don't need to spend 1 week time and no force to pay big volume of membership and yearly maintenance fee

Reply to: Selling my timeshare
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions