We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RCI vs Interval International?

Baltimore, Maryland
RCI vs Interval International?

I have been a timeshare owner in Freeport Bahamas for 15 years. I have been a member of RCI for the entire length of time as well. I have only been back to the original location 2 times in the 15 years as my desire was to travel to many more places which I have done. Over the past several years, I have noticed that RCI has gotten more expensive, difficult to use and not very helpful with explaining new changes. They now have a system which is confusing to use online and even their phone staff can't adequately explain, combining deposits for "trading power". I am thinking of switching to II since my timeshare also is affiliated with them. Any help with suggestions about pros and cons for II.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
1. Re: RCI vs Interval International?

Michelle welcome to Trip Advisor.

You may find it quicker and more thorough to seek input from the folks over on the Timeshare Users Group (TUG) at www.tug2.net as there is a much larger group of TS owners there who use the various exchange networks.

I'd be happy to help you but I have never been a member of II.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
reviews: 92
2. Re: RCI vs Interval International?

We are members of II. From what I know both companies are about the same. I think RCiI has more places in the cities II is a big company. Much is done on line. I still trade by calling them. I often go on a waiting list, wait for a property, we get it. Both of these companies deal with large numbers of properties and people, is one better then another? iI seems ok, adding properties all the time, all over the world but not in the big European cities. A little far out. Check II out before you change, may not be what you want. Why isn't RCI working out?

Kihei, Hawaii
reviews: 110
3. Re: RCI vs Interval International?

also a member of II and love it, paid my home unit off long ago and may will it to my children when I'm gone. never stayed at my unit I exchange every year. also like above I get what I want waiting and booking far ahead. 13 years now 12 history trades. 50$ pool resurface fee this year and maintanence is 545$ and goes up every year. 58$ so I can exchange and exchange fee depending if in USA or out of country about another 120$.

looks about 775$ for my week this year, and not confusing to exchange, I do all online. my home unit is a 1 bedroom but II lets me trade higher and I do. they work with whats available with your request. Highlight trades have been Whistler 3 times winter season 3 bedroom, Phuket Marriot Mai Kao beach 2 bedroom luxury 3 times as well. San Fran 2 bedroom and last December did a beautiful 1 bedroom in Dubai. II has been good to us. I must say we request with a whole month window, it helps.

cant comment on RCI but when I bought my unit was told RCI was better.

Baltimore, Maryland
4. Re: RCI vs Interval International?

Have decided to give II a try for this years trade and will compare how things seem. I have been able to travel with RCI and am always satisfied with the trades. I suppose my dissatisfaction really is with changes they have made, their new tier system with Platinum and that they used to be more helpful than they now are. II also has a tiered system but perhaps if you know when going into it you are able to decide if you want to spend more money for additional benefits. We have not checked out Europe or overseas trades with RCI so I can't comment on those. It seems with the new online system with RCI you can find out about other trades but requires alot of maneuvering the system to look at the entire gamut of what they offer and is now alot more work. They list trades that are extra money and more "trading power" than you may have on your current week so you need to understand the nuances of all these other aspects that were not present when I joined in 1998. Just sent them a long email to their customer service department and am interested in hearing what they have to say.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
5. Re: RCI vs Interval International?

Michelle . . . back in the day when I first joined RCI (around 1982) if you deposited your week in and nobody took it as an exchange as of 30 days out from the vacation date/week, you could have it back to use yourself . . . and you still have an exchange credit due you for the week that you deposited (and got back).

That was a great deal. Living in NoVA and owning in the Poconos, it worked out once for me to use my deposited week and still get another week's vacation via exchange.

It is true RCI continues to tweak and mess with their business model, all to the detriment of the general T/S ownership population. I have found myself not utilizing my ownership as much through RCI exchanges too . . . and ditched two fixed weeks because I wasn't seeing the exchanging being in my long term interests.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 2
6. Re: RCI vs Interval International?

seems to me RCI has either been bought out by Vacations Internationale or has changed it's name....

ooops hubby just came is and told me that it was Point to Point destinations that was bought out. Sorry. My bad

Edited: 8:14 pm, January 17, 2012
7. Re: RCI vs Interval International?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, March 06, 2013