We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Vacation Club Questions

West Islip, New York
Marriott Vacation Club Questions

My family and I just came back from a wonderfull vacation at the Marriott Villas in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina..

With this said, we were presented with an opportunity to buy into the "Marriott Vacation Club" Points System an become Marriott Vacation Club Owners..

We have never owned a Time share before and this "Points system" reminds us of buying shares of stock..

We do have some questions regarding the Marriott Vacation Club

Is there a CAP on the annual Maintainence fee or dose Marriott have the right to raise the annual maintainence fee as they see fit?

What is the availability of Villas if all previous owners did not convert to the point system?

Any additional comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

38 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 99
1. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Questions

I have bumped up all the other posts on this subject

Staten Island, New...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Questions

You need to obtain the written contract, read and fully understand it as it contains the entire agreement between the parties - anything said here or by a salesperson or other representative is of no value should a dispute arise between the parties.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 29
3. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Questions

No, there is no limit to how high they can jack up your MFs. That is the biggest concern any buyer should have, whether they buy from the developer (not a good idea) or on the resale/secondary market.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 14
4. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Questions

My wife and I just attended a sales presentation like "pginnega" above and I'm trying to decide whether buying into this Destinations Program is a good deal or not. The price quoted for 4,500 annual points was about $49k with a $2k annual maintenance fee. I don't object to the general principle of using annual points like cash -- eg: reserve a villa or room somewhere (Paris) for a certain number of points, just like one reserves a hotel room/condo. More expensive in the high season and less expensive in the low season. I'm trying to compare this program with simply using good old cash for the next 10 to 20 years instead of buying into the program. Some thoughts -- will there really be "inventory" in Paris, Italy, Hawaii at the times I want to book? Will my 4,500 points be enough? Will Marriott keep raising the "cost" in points for these locations in the future even though my 4,500 points will never increase? I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences to share ... I've read the TripAdvisor forum regarding the Marriott Destinations EXCHANGE program (eg: points for weeks at one's home location) but I don't see too much with respect to those who would become "new owners" like me. Thanks in advance to everyone who has a thought, opinion, experience to share -- I think TripAdvisor is the most awesome travel site ever.

Edited: 6:51 pm, March 11, 2012
5. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, March 12, 2012

London, United...
reviews: 99
6. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Questions

The question you must ask yourself is -can I sell these points when I no-longer want-or am able to travel ????

Our timeshare with Marriott is the Surf Club in Aruba

A holiday there in January would cost about $7000

but as owners it costs us around $1500

Wonderful

But what happens when we nolonger wish to travel ? (getting old !! )

Unless we can find a buyer (look on this forum and you will see selling or giving away a timeshare is very difficult ) so you and your heirs are stuck paying the fees for ever !

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
reviews: 106
7. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Questions

Do not do it! If you want a timeshare buy a re sale. The Destination program is not a good idea. We have been Marriott Timeshare Owners for a long time. we own in Palm Desert Calif. use to trade a lot. Often to Aruba and all over the Hawaian islands,Las Vegas. We were told at a presentation in Maui, if we bought into the program, we would not have enough points for a week in Maui. We could buy more points. That was the catch, buy more points! We plan on trading our timeshare a while longer if we can, if not, we sell.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 1
8. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Questions

Well, I know this post is older but what you are saying is not exactly the whole story. Maui Ocean club is one of the most expensive destinations that Marriott has.

If you own a 2BR at the Maui Ocean Club, that timeshare is worth 4725 Destination points. if you buy 2500 points using their new system, you can use this year's points and next year's. Add that to the 4725 from your timeshare, you'll discover tou can go to a lot oif destinations for 9725 points, including three cruises.

Also, Marriott will buy back your Destination points and your timeshare any time you ask them to.

Edited: 1:21 pm, November 14, 2012
White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
reviews: 106
9. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Questions

Do not do it! If you want a timeshare buy a re sale. The Destination program is not a good idea. We have been Marriott Timeshare Owners for a long time. we own in Palm Desert Calif. use to trade a lot. Often to Aruba and all over the Hawaian islands,Las Vegas. We were told at a presentation in Maui, if we bought into the program, we would not have enough points for a week in Maui. We could buy more points. That was the catch, buy more points! We plan on trading our timeshare a while longer if we can, if not, we sell.

Part2. We have traded twice since I posted this We traded for Las Vegas and Maui. Going to Maui in July, a busy time. We did not buy points. Our maintence fees Palm Desert did go up this year.

If you buy a Timeshare, buy resale

Blaine, Minnesota
10. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Questions

Here's the scoop from a long time MVCI owner who own's multiple weeks and enrolled those weeks in the Destinations program (DC).

1) do plenty of research and don't jump before you are ready.

2) take all feedback, as just that, "feedback". Make up your own mind as much of the feedback you read is biased based on the poster's point of reference. My view is, at the end of the day you'll be the one paying the MF's bills each ear, so learn enough to make up your own mind and don't buy before you do.

That said, here are my observations about the program:

Your vacationing needs will change over time and you need to be prepared that your timeshare "investment" may be worth little to nothing in the future. It doesn't mean it won't be worth someting, but I find it best to assume its worth nothing. If you buy directly from Marriott - it will almost assuredly be worth significantly less than what you pay. If you doubt that, just look at the value of Marriott weeks versus what was paid for them.

Marriott is clearly one of the very best programs and has great properties and many people were once able to buy from the developer and get out years later close to what they paid. Some made money, some lost a little, but since the real estate crash (approx 2008) timeshares have lost significant value.

I would look at this as a quality way to vacation and determine if the annual costs make sense for your family. If so, and the upfront purchasing costs - whether developer points or a re-sale week make sense, then its fine for your family. My personal rule was I never bought a week if I wasn't able to pay cash - I never wanted to finance a timshare. That way I controlled my total investment, and never had to worry about future costs other than the MF's.

For us we have been owners for about 15 years. 1st week was developer, next purchases were resale weeks, then paid the fee to be able to "elect" points in years when I wanted to. So far I have to say, I really like the DC program. For us, having flexibility of partial week stays, booking directly thru Marriott versus trading with Interval has been very good. I never had issues with Interval, but I like the direct booking on the MVCI website much better. I rarely traded outside of MVCI anyway. For us, we simply have more need for shorter stays, or 10 day stays than we once did. The new program works much better for people with those needs than a traditional weeks based program.

As to the MF's going up - they will, (average about 5% per year). If you want well maintained properties they cost plenty for upkeep. I am not justifying the rate of increase - I just know I can't affect it, so it is what it is.

The point allocations increasing, this is not really going to happen. Points are fixed for a resort, and can shift based on demand for particular weeks, but will be offset by decreases in other weeks. This is determined by use at a particular resort. EX: if they have too much pressure on Christmas week they may raise those points, but will offset the increase in points by a decrease in some other weeks. Again, the total allocation of points for a resort are fixed and can shift a bit for given weeks, but the total remains the same. So far there has been very little if any changes to the points charts.

You can expect new resorts to cost more - So they'll try to get people to buy more points because newer fancy resorts will cost more. Nothing unfair, and you don't have to go there if you don't want to.

We have had many years of great family vacations, and I don't think we would have taken near as many trips without having been owners, so in that sense its been very good.

As to the value - decide for yourself. Just be ready as you are signing on for MF's every year. Unlike some other timeshares that are hard to get rid of, with Marriott properties I think you can get out when you want, just with most of the intial investment gone. Maybe someday in the future weeks and points will have a better residual value, but for the past few years its been quite low.

Hopefully this makes sense and aids in your decision making.

Reply to: Marriott Vacation Club Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions