We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Toronto, On
reviews: 138
RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Is anybody else as upset as I am about so many RCI resorts charging such high A/I fees on top of the purchase of timeshare, annual maintenance fees, RCI membership and exchange fees??

I can't understand why anyone would want to pay this much money, when it's possible to buy an A/I package, including air fare, for far less money?

These fees seem mainly to apply to Mexico and the Caribbean; the very places we want to visit. It has basically locked us out of about 98% of the resorts we'd like to visit, which is ludicrous. There's no way we could ever manage to spend over $100 per person per day - we'd have to eat and drink non-stop all day!! It's particularly ridiculous when trying to book a last-call or extra vacation: a unit for approx $300 per week, suddenly becomes, on average, $1700 per week - not exactly a last minute bargain!!

I have written to RCI on numerous occasions regarding this matter and have basically been told that it's just the way it is and too bad!!! If the resorts want to charge mandatory all-inclusive fees and people want to pay that (and not have the wonderful experience of eating out at local restaurants and cafes) that's fine, but for RCI Members, I think it should be optional not mandatory.

I would like to know what other timeshare owners think.

72 replies to this topic
Calgary.
reviews: 20
61. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

My wife and I agree 100% with you, I am positive RCI have their rates and the resort has their own rates, I have emailed RCI asking for an explanation, are RCI's rates the same as the resort rates and never received a reply. These outrageous "mandatory rates" have curtailed our travels to Mexico with RCI , it seems 98% of the resorts are all inclusive and it is defeating the purpose of timeshares.

so happy to hear from someone else who has the same opinion about RCI

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 18
62. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

RCI doesn't charge AI fees. They do exchange you into a resort or charge you for an "extra vacation". Many resorts especially in Eastern Mex are mandatory AI. Mex west ...not so much. I would be unhappy were my TS to become mandatory AI. Optional AI. Ok.

I don't want to spend an entire trip "inside the walls" and definitely seek to experience life on the "outside".

So far my experience with RCI has been a good one and I'm OK with them and what they do for their members.

Calgary.
63. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

It is disgusting when all the resorts in a location a person want to visit with RCI are 98% mandatory all-inclusive, because in most cases the fees are atrocious ( $150.00 - $300.00 per person per night ) depending on the time of year etc. These expensive fees are unbelievable, and only causing grief to the RCI member, defeating the timeshare concept. By the time a person pays: maintenance fees, membership fee. exchange fee and on top of all that airline fees it becomes extremely expensive to travel, when you can purchase a all inclusive package at a travel agent, stay at the same resort, same suite, eat the same food etc. and includes airfare for so much less. It is just sad to see what has transpired in the timeshare industry!

Atlanta, Georgia
64. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Pianoman's analysis is correct. I'd be unhappy as well. I'm not an AI fan under any circumstances, and wonder how anyone can eat/drink 100 bucks worth of stuff every day, much less 300. West coast Mex optional AI is 65 ish a day PP... after TS presentation incentive discount,.in some areas, and we turn that down.

Charlestown, Rhode...
reviews: 2
65. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I agree about the AI fees, it is cheeper to book on your own. Then what to do about your timeshare week?

I own 2 weeks in Barbados but want to travel with a friend with kids who want to go to an AI. I think I am going to start going on sites like timesharejuice or Tug. I have not had much luck with trading in RCI or II and I belong to both. I would rather just go to my resort. However just to reply to your not finding anything at a non AI - try islands like Barbados, St Martin, Bahamas etc, and stay away from Mexico and DR, they are all AI ! There are so many other nice places to go.

Calgary.
66. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I agree, and my wife and I love the locations you mentioned, also you are right they are not AI,. but for us in Calgary, Mexico is the closest holiday destination, and we almost always travel in February so it has to be a southern location. AI is destroying the time share concept. sad but true!

Atlanta, Georgia
67. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

DR for sure is AI. Western Mexico particularly Mazatlan is not. Much is non AI and some are optional AI.

In particular Pueblo Bonito (Gold Crown and nice) El Cid. and others. Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa, etc. are worth a check out. Cabo too.... I wouldn't write off Mexico as "all" AI. Maybe the trend is to AI, which I don't like at all. I hope not.

Edited: 7:56 pm, October 05, 2013
Rutherford, New...
68. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I just got back from a vacation where I was charged 2300 for two using my timeshare in the Dominican Republic. Between that, airfare, tipping, it ended up being way much more that if I booked on Travelocity or something as I checked. I had no idea this was the cost of the AI until I saw my charge when I got home as the reservations rep and girl at front desk didn't explain this properly to me.

In addition RCI does negotiate a cheaper fee with hotel but it is not much. 165 a day per person WITH RCI discount is still pretty crazy in my opinion for the DR. I thought people said your money goes a long way there...

Rutherford, New...
69. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I just got back from a vacation where I was charged 2300 for two using my timeshare in the Dominican Republic. Between that, airfare, tipping, it ended up being way much more that if I booked on Travelocity or something as I checked. I had no idea this was the cost of the AI until I saw my charge when I got home as the reservations rep and girl at front desk didn't explain this properly to me.

In addition RCI does negotiate a cheaper fee with hotel but it is not much. 165 a day per person WITH RCI discount is still pretty crazy in my opinion for the DR. I thought people said your money goes a long way there...

Calgary.
70. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.Who can justify spending $330.00 a day to eat and drink (165 x 2 ) I have seen AI rates as high as $285.00 pp pd. All-inclusive is ruining the timeshare concept. We NEVER exchange for a all-inclusive resort,( and that really cuts down the resorts we can travel to ) Like you say it is cheaper to book a package deal with a travel agent, you eat the same food,drink the same drinks for a lot less $$$$$

in their time timeshares were a great concept to travelling

Reply to: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted