We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Toronto, On
reviews: 144
RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Is anybody else as upset as I am about so many RCI resorts charging such high A/I fees on top of the purchase of timeshare, annual maintenance fees, RCI membership and exchange fees??

I can't understand why anyone would want to pay this much money, when it's possible to buy an A/I package, including air fare, for far less money?

These fees seem mainly to apply to Mexico and the Caribbean; the very places we want to visit. It has basically locked us out of about 98% of the resorts we'd like to visit, which is ludicrous. There's no way we could ever manage to spend over $100 per person per day - we'd have to eat and drink non-stop all day!! It's particularly ridiculous when trying to book a last-call or extra vacation: a unit for approx $300 per week, suddenly becomes, on average, $1700 per week - not exactly a last minute bargain!!

I have written to RCI on numerous occasions regarding this matter and have basically been told that it's just the way it is and too bad!!! If the resorts want to charge mandatory all-inclusive fees and people want to pay that (and not have the wonderful experience of eating out at local restaurants and cafes) that's fine, but for RCI Members, I think it should be optional not mandatory.

I would like to know what other timeshare owners think.

78 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
1. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I don't think it is an RCI issue so much as how those timeshares have been set up. They are the ones charging you the AI fees . . . and for that reason I would never own or trade into any AI mandated resort.

Toronto, On
2. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I believe the fees are set by the resorts, not RCI; but my point is that, in my opinion, RCI should have negotiated optional a/i fees for their members. When I first became a member of RCI, the book only had a few a/i resorts; now it's almost impossible to find anything that's not and then, of course, finding availability is almost impossible. Booking an a/i resort through RCI is the most expensive way to travel - I just don't get it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Someone has to pay those AI fees, and I doubt that RCI has much clout in any of those matters on behalf of their members. Also, if you have been around very long with timeshare travel, exchanging and RCI you probably have seen many other examples of bad decisions and lack of negotiation on behalf of their (RCI's) membership. There are only about their own bottom line and making a profit, often at our (the members') expense.

I was able to book 10 nights in Cancun at a resort also available through RCI (plus the AI fees) back in May 2004. We paid $110/night for two of us . . . which was less than their AE fees at the time. The booking was done through Hotels.com.

I will never use my timeshare ownership for AI resorts, airline or hotels and/or cruises . . . some of the worst values for your "investment" and maintenance fee payments.

Toronto, On
4. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I am really disappointed with this situation. I can't believe that RCI Members want this - like I said, it's hard to find a more expensive way to travel. I too will never use an RCI exchange with an A/I - however, that now leaves me with very little choice!! When I joined RCI, the A/I's could be counted on the fingers of one hand - not any more!!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

. . . and when I joined RCI in 1982 or 1983, if your week was not traded for 30 (or 45?) days out from the start of the week, you got it back to use yourself. Obviously that is no longer the case either.

It is not what the members want. Besides if we as exchangers do not pay the AI fee, who's going to? At those resorts with AI fees, even their owners pay them . . . aren't you glad you do not OWN at one of those rip-off "timeshares"?

Toronto, On
6. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

It's such a ripoff. Very happy I don't own at any of those places. What would be the situation if you owned at one of these places that wasn't A/I when you bought?

A couple of years ago I took a "Last Call Vacation" in Cabo San Lucas. I was so thrilled about how cheap it was, I decided I'd take 2 each winter to escape the Canadian cold!!! Hardly anywhere to go now and I've used up the "I in 4 Rule" at this particular resort; so, I guess that option's gone!

Thanks for your responses - glad I'm not the only one who's upset.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
7. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

>>>What would be the situation if you owned at one of these places that wasn't A/I when you bought?<<<

There is probably something in their purchase/ownership documents that say that they can change the policies on fees as they determine they must in the best interest of the body of owners.

One of the timeshares I recently got rid of, did that. There were no user's fees for the amenities like the pool. Two years ago (after a three year special assessment) they instituted a $5/day resort user fee for exchangers and owners.

It is part of the deal that whatever the deal is when you bought, it can change. Also another reason to be trimming down what I own to just a small Wyndham points contract and a very nice (low MF) Waikiki, Hawaii unit.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 12
8. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I own a RCI membership for the last 10 years and fully agreed that it is more expensive to book the resort through them. Most of the time it is not available. 2nd being that the trading power in exchange has been so high. Imagine you need to deposit 3 weeks at least for an exchange in New York City for a 1 room accomodation. These days most of the exchange is on rental. It is becoming a money maker than a club for the member!

Staten Island, New...
reviews: 8
9. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Rosita - you can "rent" through the RCI affiliate Endless Vacations to Mexico and the DR for all-inclusive deals - no hassles, no fees, no ownership, no timeshare presentaion requirements..

www.endless-vacation-rentals.com/main.taf…

Toronto, On
10. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Thank You - I'll check it out.

Reply to: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted