We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vrbo

Detroit
vrbo

VRBO is simply a rental property owners site.

We were victims of a classic bait and switch. The listing owner showed pictures of a nice penthouse unit, but only to give us a ground floor place "under repair". I have a copy of our lease and to another family for the same place on the same date. What a scam.

When we told VRBO nothing was even considered to help us. They just blocked us from giving the listing owner a bad review.

I would never use VRBO again.

39 replies to this topic
Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
reviews: 2
1. Re: vrbo

This is very unfortunate as it gives everyone (vrbo, good VR owners, etc) a bad name.

Looking back, were there any signs that this particular owner might be trying to "bait and switch" you? Was the "owner" actually the owner of the property or was it a property manager? Were you aware when you booked that the owner had more than one property? Did you receive a discount for renting a property "under repair"? Did you pay by credit card? If so, and you have a signed contract showing the address of the "better" property, your CC company may go to bat for you.

For those of us who really care about our rental guests and providing the best possible vacation, I hope you will try "renting by owner" again.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 8
2. Re: vrbo

Can you supply a property #. I am looking into VRBO, but certainly don't want to have the problems that you have encountered. thank you

Houston, Texas
reviews: 26
3. Re: vrbo

Please don't let this sour you on VRBO.

I have used VRBO for years and have rented at least a dozen different properties through this site both inside the U.S. and overseas. I have had nothing but wonderful experiences and wouldn't hesitate to use VRBO again.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience, but it is not the fault of VRBO - they are merely a listing site. Best of luck as you keep trying to get recourse from the property owner/manager.

St. Louis, MO
reviews: 5
4. Re: vrbo

We have used VRBO multiple times to book beach houses in our favorite town in Florida off of 30-A. We have never had a bit of trouble until this past spring break. Property owner/management company is not returning our security deposit in a timely manner. They required us to pay it within 5 days of booking back in November, but tell me that it will take up to 6 weeks before they will return our money. Which in my opinion is just not right. We have tried calling, emailing and now we are only getting rude responses by the property owner. I could just kick myself for agreeing to such a large security deposit--total of $1000 between 2 families and really feel taken. Do I have any recourse? 3 weeks have passed. Any suggestions? Will VRBO be able to intervene or not so much? Also, what about posting a comment on VRBO about our experience--would I be opening myself up to any liability even if I report only accurate information?

Lakenheath
reviews: 22
5. Re: vrbo

Were there any positive comments when you chose that VRBO listing?

Lakeville, Minnesota
reviews: 7
6. Re: vrbo

I have used vrbo several times to rent condos and homes in Hawaii. I have found the information to be truthful. For the places I rented, the pictures and descriptions were accurate and the comments from the guests were useful in helping me make selections. But, at the same time, I do as much research as possible. It seems like there are more individual vrbo reviews showing up here in TripAdvisor, and hopefully more people will add their comments. I have another trip coming up soon and will be renting four different places through vrbo. I'll be sure to add my reviews.

7. Re: vrbo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:13 am, December 24, 2012

wisconsin
reviews: 11
8. Re: vrbo

Great advice Thomdenis R. I will be using your checklist over the next couple weeks. I too have rented several times from VRBO and have been fortunate. I want to add that if their "good reviews" are not recent, say a year or 2 old, that is a red Flag.

9. Re: vrbo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:13 am, December 24, 2012

Orlando, Florida
10. Re: vrbo

I would never use VRBO again either! My credit card was hit right after paying for my condo rental on their "secure website". Tried to get some help and was treated like crap! No one of any importance will call you back and the one that did was worthless and very rude. Be very careful!

Reply to: vrbo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions