We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO/Homeaway?

Maryland
reviews: 14
VRBO/Homeaway?

who has used either of these sites for vacation rentals? I was planning to rent in Europe next summer. Most places require deposit upfront and balance also before arrival. Are they reputable? What recourse do you have if you show up and someone else is renting your place, or you can't get keys? They have been around a while and I'm hoping this is a good idea.... appreciate any advice/info.

91 replies to this topic
Lincoln, NH
reviews: 7
71. Re: VRBO/Homeaway?

Sergei, the owner may be trying to avoid taxes -- or worse. Post a link to the listing - either here or send it to me privately. I am quite familiar with HomeAway and may be able to offer some guidance after seeing the ad.

LMM

72. Re: VRBO/Homeaway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:41 am, March 13, 2014
Edited: 11:41 am, March 13, 2014

73. Re: VRBO/Homeaway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, March 14, 2014

Skipton
reviews: 56
74. Re: VRBO/Homeaway?

We also got scammed with HomeAway as the owners email had been hacked, for our February 2014 holiday in Barbados and lost a lot of money.

HomeAway did nothing to help us find alternative accommodation and we had to find this ourselves.

The HomeAway holiday guarantee turned out to be worthless .

We will not use this company again .

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 70
75. Re: VRBO/Homeaway?

OK, so when an email account gets hacked, or a facility turns out to be a scam, it is very distressing, and it completely ruins a vacation/holiday. The listing company, in this case HomeAway, didn't try to find you alternative accommodation or refund your money, etc.

\My question to you - what company does provide this sort of service in cases like this?

To my knowledge, none, but I am more than willing to be educated.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
76. Re: VRBO/Homeaway?

@AndySkipton: As a follow-up, did you actually purchase the HomeAway "Carefree Rental Guarantee"? (They don't appear to have a "HomeAway holiday guarantee") If you didn't then you can't really expect it to pay up.

And, if you read the terms and conditions that you agree to if you bought it, you will see that they will refund your money in the case similar to the one you laid out. There is no commitment to help you find alternative accommodation. http://www.homeaway.com/guarantee/tac.html

This sounds like you are criticising the company for not doing something that they had in no way agreed to in the first place.

San Francisco...
77. Re: VRBO/Homeaway?

Bad experience with VRBO rental in Reno Nevada in June 2013. The unit was fine, but after we left the owner took her listing off VRBO, and e-mailed me that she could not afford to refund the $200 security deposit. VRBO offered no remedy for this loss.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
78. Re: VRBO/Homeaway?

NoeArm, could you point to where in VRBO's terms and conditions they led you to believe that they would provide you with this?

Lausanne
reviews: 34
79. Re: VRBO/Homeaway?

I have tried to used homeaway for my trips to Amsterdam , Nice, and Barcelona. Some owners never reply, 70% of the advertised properties are basically non -existing and you just get a mail "the property is popular but here are other options from our company" and shittier or more expensive properties are being offered to you.

After trying for 3 locations and asking for quotes from more than 100 times I simply gave up. Total waste of time.

Gustavia, St...
80. Re: VRBO/Homeaway?

You should always rent through a legitimate rental agency that actually has the rental contract with the owner and has personally inspected the property. They will protect you from "surprises" such as construction next door when you arrive. They can move you to another property. If you book directly with a am owner you might not get any sort of refund.

Reply to: VRBO/Homeaway?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted