We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

Michigan
Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

My husband and I purchased the Royal Club membership a few weeks ago. We tried to cancel within the 5 days by FedXing our cancelation papers (we have moved to another city in Mexico and couldn't appear in person). The cancellation address on the contact was incorrect and they did not receive the paperwork within the 5 days. We had legal council in the US follow up and the Occidental Legal will not budge.

We have such a bad feeling for Occidental considering the hard sell we endured and the personal embarrassment that we fell for their line. We don't even want to vacation ther anymore.

Has anyone tried renting their units? Has anyone sold after the 1 year commitment? Is the membership truly a "good deal"? Maybe we need to put our embarrassment behind us, keep the membership and use it.

170 replies to this topic
141. Re: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

Thank you so much to res12345 for your very detailed and useful advice you posted on April 2011. We have saved ourselves from much deeper trouble if we have not seen this post. Those people are very dangerous. Public should be warned and should be very cautious of what they are signing for. It was a nightmare dealing through cancellation process and I wasted so much time getting it done within the 5 day period. They thought I have not emailed the right agency yet so they were very rude and unaccomodating the following day I tried to cancel in person. Then they realized I emailed and reported them to PROFECO and their behavior switched to being nice again. They tried to make up by leaving a bouquet of flowers in our room although there's a DO NOT DISTURB sign only to find out that iguanas eat flowers so when my daughter took 1 flower from the bouquet and brought it out on our way to the beach, we were being chased by the iguana on their ground. Some guests saw it and thought it was funny. My daughter took a photo and video of it after I said to drop the flower she was holding her hand. I think it was meant for me because they were that mad at me that time for emailing PROFECO and cancelling the contract! Still scares me to death and I just played along until I got out of their resort! I can't thank you enough for leading us to the right direction and mentioning PROFECO since it's not mentioned in the contract.

Miami, Fl
142. Re: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

Dear 8r8r8r,

We are very sorry to read you were not 100% sure about the membership and made the decision to cancel.

We in any away intended to harm you or your family by sending a bouquet to your room. At Occidental Vacation Club we are always looking for ways to make our guests feel welcome and happy during their stay, and surprise them with little details. We are very sorry you didn't feel this way.

Kind regards,

Ignaura Tejeda Solimán

Community Manager for Occidental Vacation Club

143. Re: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:29 am, August 29, 2013

North Little Rock...
reviews: 22
144. Re: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

I heard that these Sales Staff are usually not employees of your resort. They are hired out to do high-pressure sales, and they will try to get you to come to an update on your membership, every time you go on a vacation at their resort. They will coerce you with giving you a free breakfast, and maybe a 10% discount off all charges. Just for future reference, whenever you go there and they try to get you to do this, tell them "No Gracious"!!! It's not worth wasting your entire day in high-pressure sales, getting free breakfast, and maybe a discount off your entire bill while staying there.

I've been a timeshare owner for 10 years, but not at Occidental. They all work alike though. Oh, and I've never been able to sell timeshare or weeks. They just make you think you're going to be able to make a profit from it. Maybe some people are lucky, but I'm not. I kind of wish I had of never gotten involved with this type of vacationing. I think it's better to just go onto Hotwire, and buy an all-inclusive stay.

chicago
reviews: 29
145. Re: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

Just an update on what we did get on our first trip as members:

Regular room in a regular building anyone could have reserved online and paid less for.

Private check-in at the First Club Lounge, which had a nice bar and an appetizer buffet. While the drinks were great there, it really wasn't worth leaving the pool, walking inside, etc.

Computer and internet access in the First Club Lounge.

The First Club concierge was very helpful in arranging excursions.

There is a first club pool deck with nicer loungers than the "regular" people get.

Overall, not worth the money.

Englishtown, New...
reviews: 5
146. Re: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

They got you!!!!! You won the yellow now tie

phila
147. Re: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

Summerbum-- what resort was this? And are you supposed to only get a hotel unit with your membership?

Massapequa, New York
148. Re: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

I bought Occidental Grand Aruba(may-dec) 5 years ago.

Yes, sales pitch was/is very strong, but we liked aruba & that resort very much.

We wished we didn't buy then because you can buy resales for 1/2 or 2/3 off.

We use our aruba every other year, and another occidental resort every other year.

You can not go to occ aruba cheaper as a tourist! We pay approx 800/yrmaint, pay 215/day off season for all inclusive- so 2500/yr ( no extra taxes or fees)for a all inclusive suite for 7 days.

For that we get an ocean view 2 room suite.

The cheapest I have seen occ aruba incl all inclusive &taxes is 3800 for 7 day ocean view non suite.

So owning it saves us $1,300/yr plus we get a 2 rm suite.

Also, restaurants are suprisingly very good

Edited: 8:35 am, November 15, 2013
North Little Rock...
reviews: 22
149. Re: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

I would contact PROFECO, if you have your tracking slip from FED EX, proving that you were sending within the 5 days. You can't help it that they gave you a Bogus address. You should be able to go on FED EX's website and print out tracking, showing that they tried to deliver within the 5 days.

www.profeco.gob.mx

Quintana Roo Domicilio: Av. Coba lotes 9 y 11, Super Manzana 22, (Frente a Seg. Social) Colonia Centro, C.P, 77500, Cancún, Quintana Roo.

Patchogue, New York
150. Re: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership

I am sorry to tell you, but you certainly can go cheaper as a tourist. I just looked up Occidental Resorts, one week (obviously all inclusive) and it was $2500 pp INCLUDING Flight! Not to mention this is the average tourist deal. Not someone who has paid thousands of dollars to be a "member." I am a member. My heart is broken realizing that the 15,000$ I paid in to this company gets me NOTHING but a "private internet and use of a special "lounge".

Reply to: Just Purchased the Occidental Vacation Club Membership
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted