We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Property Bond

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 112
Holiday Property Bond

Anybody got any experience of Holiday Property Bond ? It's advertised by Sue Barker and other well known people so I don't have any worries about it being OK financially but I'd like to hear any first hand opinions and experiences. How much is good to invest are the properties really 'posh' etc. ?

Thanks

184 replies to this topic
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 117
1. Re: Holiday Property Bond

I know nothing about Holiday Bond or who Sue Barker is but I would not invest my hard earned money in any investment or project based on the fact a personality is promoting it. Personalities, celebrities or whatever you call them are Paid to make these endorsements.

If you want a recent occurence of a celebrity endorsing products and their charactor and honesty being the basis of that endorsement one has to look no further back than Tiger Woods a man who just two weeks before Christmas when interviewed said that his family was more important than anything else. Yea Right.

Edited: 2:33 pm, December 28, 2009
Hants, UK
reviews: 17
2. Re: Holiday Property Bond

And how about the golfer that advertised the spanish property place, I think that went t**s up.

Sheffield, United...
3. Re: Holiday Property Bond

OK, my fault - I shouldn't have commented on any judgement of HPB's financial stability by linking it with a celebrity commendation. Forget that. I should have only used that to remind people as to who endorses the company.

Please only respond if you have any practical experience of this company as opposed to views on celebrity endorsements.

Thanks

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 117
4. Re: Holiday Property Bond

I have had a look through HPB's website and have drawn the following conclusions:

1. It operates similar to a Timeshare Management company

2. You pay an annual fee irrespective of whether you go on holiday in addition to your original investment

3. You pay a rental fee per week per holiday resort you stay at. Fees vary depending upon the resort stayed at.

4. The concept is similar to may timeshare holiday clubs around the world and few if any have provided a financial return to its punter investors.

5. If you are investing in the opportunity to take future holidays at the resorts under management then your initial investment is your key to doing so.

6. If after two years you find that this concept is not for you you have an out albeit it maybe at some financial cost to you.

7. The benefit of this type of programme is that you dont have have the high upfront annual maintenance fees to pay each year

8. How are the properties maintained to a high standard if an annual maintenance budget is not guaranteed except by dipping into the Capital Pool?

9. If I was looking at investing in future holidays I believe their are better timeshare and other holiday vehicles around than this particular model but these are only my opinions

Edited: 6:47 pm, December 28, 2009
Sheffield, United...
5. Re: Holiday Property Bond

beanb41 and others, I do appreciate your time but I don't need opinions on the money aspect except regarding value for money from people who have personal experience of HPB. I apologise for the typo in my original posting which should have read '.....well known people AND I don't have worries about it being OK financially.........'

Please only respond if you have personal experience of HPB.

Thanks

Cornwall
reviews: 41
6. Re: Holiday Property Bond

We invested in HPB about five years ago - at not much higher than the minimum investment. We have enjoyed several holidays that include France, Madeira and La Gomera. The standard of the accommodation and the facilities have always been very good. I would not classify the resorts as 'very posh' but the intention is to provide a high standard holiday and therefore the user charge applied per week might be considered quite high to some and not for those on a tight budget. If you get chance I would recommend that you arrange a viewing at one of their sites in the UK to get a 'feel'. You often have to book a year in advance to get the property that you want at the time that you want to travel - or wait for last minute vacancies if you can. I would suggest that if you wanted one week in the school summer holidays each year you would need to invest £10,000 - £15,000. Off season holidays will provide more choice at less investment. We use our bond maybe every other year and take advantage of their points free schemes. Could add more but hope this helps.

Sheffield, United...
7. Re: Holiday Property Bond

CyrilCat you are a star ! This is more the sort of information I wanted - I've e-mailed you privately and hope we can chat either e-mail or on the phone. Thanks. Jane.

Preston, Lancs
reviews: 4
8. Re: Holiday Property Bond

my parents have been part of hpb for a good 20 years and seem very happy with it. it's not a cheap option but the properties are usually a very good standard with good amenities. when we used to go when i was younger i didn't appreciate them as they don't really cater for children/teens as such but now i'm researching our first holiday with a baby i'm hoping i might be able to use my parents points and go with hpb as you know you are getting quality!

Sheffield, United...
9. Re: Holiday Property Bond

Thanks Debs9 - appreciate your time and comment. J

Edinburgh
10. Re: Holiday Property Bond

I have been a bondholder for 15 years and it is one of the best things I have ever done. You invest a sum of money in the bond and then you are part owner of hundreds of high quality properties all over the UK and the world. The cost of staying in a property is a non-profit making user charge to cover maintenance costs so there is no difference in price between high and low season. One of the best properties is Tigh Mohr in the lovely Trossachs in Scotland which the bond spent 11 million pounds renovating. All of their properties are of good quality and most have a pool, clubhouse, restaurant and many other facilities which are solely for bondholders. I can now have a cheap, good quality holiday for the rest of my life, no matter how hard up I become and then pass my bond on to my family when I die. I highly recommend it. It is nothing like timeshare. Visit the website and read all about it! www.hpb.co.uk

Reply to: Holiday Property Bond
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions