I had lunch and dinner here in November 2013 and enjoyed both meals. Christian was my waiter and he was very attentive. For lunch, I had antipasto all'Italina and pasta fresco con fungi, salsaccia e rucola. Both were quite tasty but the antipasto was so filling, I could not eat all my pasta... read more
The true culinary tradition of Lecce is to be found at Cosimino's...
The true culinary tradition of Lecce is to be found at Cosimino's Osteria*. Just a few hundred meters from the Old Town, in a new and welcoming atmosphere, Cosimino's sons Luigi and Gianfranco have been the heirs to this culture, handed down to them since its inception in 1960. The Osteria has been a cult destination over the years, where home style cuisine - from pezzetti te cavallu(1) to mieru(2) - goes hand in hand with folklore and storytelling. Today these pleasures live on and are enjoyed with the same passion and verve as in older times. With us you can delight in typical Salentine dishes paired with the robust flavor of Malvasia wine. Through the masterfulness of Cosimino - a Leccese CULINARY INSTITUTION - enjoy, just as in the past, pezzetti te cavallu al sugo(1), turcineddhi(3), or sagna 'ncannulata(4) , richly seasoned with regular or sharp ricotta cheese.
Today, Luigi and Gianfranco proudly carry on, bearing high the name of the Osteria, a place where until not long ago tressette, briscola, and scopone(5) were still played, a place which was (it seems only yesterday) off limits to women, and where today you can still savor an authenticity of spirit while spending an evening in the company of friends and good wine.
The noted 13th century poet Cecco Angiolieri was known to say, "Three things bring me happiness - women, the tavern and dice."
So, you bring the women and dice, and we'll take care of the tavern. We hope everything will be to your pleasure, and we wish you an enjoyable time. Perhaps if you order pezzetti and mieru, Cosimino himself will bring it to your table.
If what you're looking for is the civility of another era, come and relax with us.
* osteria - a tavern, bar, and/or casual eatery, a convivial place where the principal attractions are wine, food, informal hospitality and companionship
(1) pezzetti di cavallo al sugo- chunks of horse meat in spicy tomato sauce
(2) mieru - wine, in Leccese dialect
(3) turcineddhi - entrails (heart, lungs, liver, etc) roughly chopped, seasoned, wrapped in sausage-like casing and grilled.
(4) sagna 'ncannulata - flat, lasagna-like, durum wheat pasta, cut into strips and rolled into spiral tubes
(5) tressette, briscola, and scopone - popular card gamesadvisor.