Certainly one of the best hikes in the Lake Tahoe area, the trails to Round Top and Winnemucca Lake promise pristine alpine meadows... more » and lakes, fast-flowing creeks, abandoned mines - and in summer, one of the finest wildflower displays to be found anywhere in Northern California.
There’s something for everybody in this area, which is why our guide also lists enough alternative routes and side-trips to please everybody.
• 2,300ft (from 8,200 - 10,381 ft)
• Trailhead requires a day-use fee.
• Insect repellent is highly advisable, particularly around Woods Lake.Be sure to pack some insect repellent - the bugs around the lake sure are hungry.
arson Pass Trail (2m ea/way). Out-and-back route from
• If you park at the Carson Pass trailhead you will need a sno-park permit, which is required Nov 1 - May 30.
• From Round Top Lake, take the 4 mile round trip to the Southern flanks of Round Top and the Fourth Of July Lake.
• Sisters Peak is accessible directly from the ridgeline below the final climb to Round Top, perfect for the determined peak-bagger who wants to add another mountain summit to their list.
• Carson Pass Trail offers an alternative route between Winnemucca Lake and Carson Pass. A sno-park permit is required at the Carson Pass alternate trailhead between Nov 1 and May 30 (see our link to sno-park permit vendors).