We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mevlana Whirling Dervishes

Certificate of Excellence
Improve this listing
Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Your filters are still active.
There are no pins in your viewport. Try moving the map or changing your filters.
Sponsored by:
Get directions
Address: Cimenlik mah. AslanlI KIsla cad. Karatay | Mevlana Cultural Center, Konya, Turkey
Phone Number: 90 332 352 81 11
Website

TripAdvisor Reviewer Highlights

Read all 223 reviews
Visitor rating
  • 139
    Excellent
  • 57
    Very good
  • 21
    Average
  • 5
    Poor
  • 1
    Terrible
Good experience

We much enjoyed this religious performance dancing. It started at 7:00 pm for an hour. 70% of seats were filled. About 20% of audience was tourists and remaining 80% was local... read more

4 of 5 starsReviewed April 11, 2015
J-in-Naperville
,
Naperville, Illinois
via mobile
Add Photo Write a Review

223 Reviews from our TripAdvisor Community

Date | Rating
  • Chinese (Simplified) first
  • English first
  • French first
  • German first
  • Italian first
  • Japanese first
  • Norwegian first
  • Polish first
  • Portuguese first
  • Russian first
  • Spanish first
  • Turkish first
  • Any
English first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Senior Reviewer
8 reviews 8 reviews
1 helpful vote 1 helpful vote
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2015 NEW

The museum was very interesting but you had to stand in line for ages and cope with large crowds once you got inside. But it is worth a visit - its a very interesting place.

Was this review helpful? Yes
Naperville, Illinois
Top Contributor
50 reviews 50 reviews
8 attraction reviews
25 helpful votes 25 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2015 via mobile

We much enjoyed this religious performance dancing. It started at 7:00 pm for an hour. 70% of seats were filled. About 20% of audience was tourists and remaining 80% was local Turkish. My impression was they do this for their religious ritual, not for tourists. Most Turkish audience followed a certain gesture during the performance. We went there at 6:30... More 

Was this review helpful? Yes 1
Senior Contributor
41 reviews 41 reviews
18 attraction reviews
25 helpful votes 25 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2015

A "religious" experience that was worth seeing once but this is a full on tourist display catering for six or seven coach loads everytime - hardly a Holy service !

Was this review helpful? Yes
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Top Contributor
244 reviews 244 reviews
151 attraction reviews
136 helpful votes 136 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2015

We quite enjoyed this ceremony but the music went on too long and the whirling went on too long. We particularly pitied 1 young man who looked ill from the beginning because of the twirling.

Was this review helpful? Yes
Lake Worth, Florida
Top Contributor
155 reviews 155 reviews
48 attraction reviews
81 helpful votes 81 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

The famous Whirling Dervishes of Konya. The Dervishes are Sufis. a branch of Islam. They whirl around, attempting to attain communion with their god.

Was this review helpful? Yes
Contributor
16 reviews 16 reviews
6 attraction reviews
16 helpful votes 16 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2015 via mobile

The performance was at a very modern culture centre so not sure where the other reviewers have seen this event at konya as some have mentioned a restored caravanserai. It is definately only shown on a saturday evening at 7pm. In the summer it is apparently also performed on a thursday evening. im my opinion it is not as good... More 

Was this review helpful? Yes 1
London, United Kingdom
Senior Contributor
41 reviews 41 reviews
15 attraction reviews
21 helpful votes 21 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

A real treat to see inside a genuine caravanserai & learn about the history of these buildings. The ceremony was fascinating - just let the rhythm of the drumbeats and the gradual build up of the music wash over you, its hypnotic. Watching the Dervishes slowly start their trance of worship was unlike anything I have ever seen. Go with... More 

Was this review helpful? Yes 1
Istanbul, Turkey
Senior Contributor
30 reviews 30 reviews
18 attraction reviews
16 helpful votes 16 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2015

This is a must-see in Konya. It is held in a large circular arena every night. Check times online or with your hotel. Photos allowed without flash. Get there early to get your choice of seats. Try to seat facing the band if you can.

Was this review helpful? Yes 2
London
Senior Contributor
23 reviews 23 reviews
19 helpful votes 19 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2015

Oh, the tourists! Despite polite requests beforehand, there was a constant flare of flash bulbs, chatter and occasional shouts. Someone even wandered down to the stage with their tripod.

Was this review helpful? Yes 1
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Top Contributor
86 reviews 86 reviews
58 attraction reviews
56 helpful votes 56 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

We were promised an eperience which would calm the mind. The sufi music was not as good as it ccould have been. I have been to several sufi music concerts in Mumbai, India which were far superior. The whirling dervishes should be congratulated for their ability to spin around themselves but that is all.

Was this review helpful? Yes

Travelers who viewed Mevlana Whirling Dervishes also viewed

Konya, Konya Province
Konya, Konya Province
 
Konya, Konya Province
 

Been to Mevlana Whirling Dervishes? Share your experiences!

Write a Review Add Photos & Videos

Owners: What's your side of the story?

Register now for free — and start getting automatic notification of new reviews, responding to traveler feedback, adding new photos to your listing and much more.

Manage your listing

Questions & Answers

Here's what previous visitors have asked, with answers from representatives of Mevlana Whirling Dervishes and other visitors
8 questions
Ask a question
Sydney, Australia
19 days ago
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

See all questions (8)

Questions? Get answers from Mevlana Whirling Dervishes staff and past visitors.
Posting guidelines
Typical questions asked:
  • Do I have to buy a ticket for my infant?
  • How do I get there using public transportation?
  • Is there a restaurant or café onsite?