Spirit Airlines is an ultra-low-cost carrier headquartered near Miami in Miramar, Florida. Spirit Airlines traces its roots back to 1964 and the founding of Clippert Trucking Company. The company began operating charter flights as Charter One in 1983 and then changed its name to Spirit Airlines in 1992. Spirit Airlines operates its hubs at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, providing service to more than 45 destinations throughout the U.S., Latin America and the Caribbean.
Class of Service
Spirit Airlines provides one class of service on its flights, but it allows passengers to customize their in-flight experience by purchasing optional services and products.
- All leather seats
- Big Front Seats, which are wider seats with additional legroom, may be purchased in advance or, depending on theflight length and availability, onboard.
- You can choose your seats in advance for a fee.
- You can join the $9 fare club for a fee and receive discounts on fares and bag fees.
Food and Drink
Beverages and snacks are available for purchase onboard all flights.
View Spirit Airlines seat maps at SeatGuru.com.
The Spirit Airlines fleet includes the following aircraft types*:
- More than 25 A319s in the fleet 145 total seats; 10 Big Front Seats
- Approximately 9 A320s in the fleet 178 total seats; 4 Big Front Seats
- Approximately 2 A321s in the fleet 218 seats total; 4 Big Front Seats
*Please note that Spirit Airlines might operate several configurations of a specific aircraft type, so please check SeatGuru for seat map information and recommendations on the best seats for your flight.
Customer Loyalty Program
Free Spirit is the frequent flyer loyalty program of Spirit Airlines.
- You can earn miles by flying Spirit Airlines, purchasing services from hotel and car partners and by using a Spirit Airlines MasterCard.
- Miles can be redeemed for travel awards.
- Miles do not expire as long as you have earned miles within the previous three months.
- Membership levels are Somebody, Elite and VIP. Somebody is the entry level for all members. Elite membership isattained by earning 12,000 miles or spending $1,200 on base fares in the preceding six months. VIP membership isattained by earning 24,000 miles or spending $2,400 on base fares in the previous six months.
- Perks for Elite and VIP members include increased mileage earning rates